Concord defrost fan

I have a 96 ChryslerConcorde that when started from cold the defrost fan (which is set on high) fan won't start. If I turn the fan switch down then up again everything works. This has the automatic climate control. Any Idea's?

Reply to
custcomp

it's probably in climate control if you turn it off and then back on or a switch..i had a 91park avenue that done same thing...it was to much money 4 me to fix it right so i just lived with it i had 275000 miles on it....good luck.

SCRAPPER.....

Reply to
Scrapper

When you move that knob it changes from "Auto" fan to manual control. Right? Is that what is happening, or is something else happening?

Reply to
Joe

yes thats whats happening...if you set it for high on that tells it when it's suppose to stop when you get it to the temp you want...then when you setting it higher manualy it will go higher if you set for higher temp by hand..like i say keep doing what your doing it'll last a long time unless you want to replace the whole climate control....good luck..

SCRAPPER...

Reply to
Scrapper

Yes that is right. I have a remote start which makes this a pain, otherwise I would just turn it down and up again at startup. I have put a used controller but no luck.

Joe wrote:

Reply to
custcomp

Reply to
custcomp

That's because it's doing what it's supposed to do. Right? Do you agree? The problem is that it's designed to do that.

It would be easy enough to modify. The speed controller is under the glove compartment. It just acts as a variable resistor. Two big wires in and out carry the fan power. You could put a switch between those.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks Joe

When its 20 below outside and I have the auto temp set to 70 above and the fan set to high I would expect the fan to run on high until it got to 70 above in the vehicle when it first starts up. Why would the design be different then that?

Joe wrote:

Reply to
custcomp

Hi...

Not a mechanic, let me try from another angle if I may?

My 94 lhs does the same thing, and this is why.. if it's 20 below, and the engine is *cold* it can't possibly do anything but blow

20 below air on the windshield, right?

This would accomplish nothing as far as defrosting goes, but the ice cold moving air would feel terrible to us humans.

So it waits until it has a little heat, then turns the fan on slowly, so that the heat is on the windshield, but not so fast as to feel cool on our faces.

As the engine warms up, the fan speed will automagically increase until it begins to approach the temperature you desire - in your example above 70 degrees.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Two reasons: First, the engine is cold,and your car is smart enough to know that. No heating is going to occur for about 5 minutes. They even made cars 30 years ago that were capable of making that decision for you. Second, with automatic a/c controls, a designer could make a decision to put all or part of the system back in automatic under certain conditions. You just never know what the reason is. About 100 times a year, somebody will get into a usenet group and gripe about their a/c compressor running in the winter time. The designers of the car made that decision, and right or wrong, that's why cars do that.

Reply to
Joe

I've had auto climate control in a 94 LHS, 99 300M, Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord and Honda Odyssey. The Chrysler units were the best by far. Honda doesn't have accurate temperatures and don't know when to run fresh air vents or defroster vents, Toyota required constant attention, Ford had minimal features (of course that was back in 1991). The only thing negative about Chrysler is full speed fan that made a racket when it was trying to cool a hot car that was just started. I think later models have an option to prevent that.

Reply to
Art

after all this you still don't believe us????? best of luck to you then....

SCRAPPER...

Reply to
Scrapper

Oh I believe you . Is there any way to set the system to manual mode all the time?

Thanks for all the answers and patience.

Scrapper wrote:

Reply to
custcomp

Hi...

None that I've been able to find.

But if you'll turn it off, then press auto just before shutting off the engine for the last time of the night, then it will warm up and defrost in the morning much more efficiently than we could do it manually.

If you think about it, "it" knows the outside temperature, it knows the inside temperature, it knows the coolant temperature.

Heck, it even knows other little tricks that we don't think of... You notice yet that in full manual it starts off by putting its first air at the floor duct? That's because it has a little warm air to share, but the heater core likely has a little condensation on it that froze, and as it melts would throw "snow" out the defrost vents. Or a bit warmer high humidity air, which would freeze on the inside of the windshield making things even worse :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Thanks for all the help guys - much appriciated

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Reply to
custcomp

Hey, I did a little experiment on mine- I put it in manual mode before I shut it down, to see if it would obey me in the morning.. It works, at least when using the key in the normal way. When I started it back up, it came right back in manual mode, Defrost, high fan speed.

The key is to get it in manual mode the night before.

Reply to
Joe

I keep my fan in manual mode, it automatically corrects the temperature. In full Auto mode the fan often went on full high, a terrible noise.

Reply to
who