Consumer Reports Strikes again, Dodge GC

Well, Consumer Reports' List of unreliable vehicles: (sure glad we bought a Dodge GC AWD) Anyone else concerned?

CR Bad Bets

Be especially careful when considering these models. They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability in their 1997 to 2004 models. They are listed alphabetically.

Audi A6 BMW 7 Series Chevrolet Astro Chevrolet Blazer Chevrolet Express1500 Chevrolet S-10 (4WD) Chevrolet TrailBlazer Chrysler Town & Country (AWD) Dodge Dakota (4WD) Dodge Grand Caravan (AWD) Ford Windstar GMC Envoy GMC Jimmy GMC Safari GMC Savana 1500 GMC Sonoma (4WD) Jaguar S-Type Jaguar X-Type

Jeep Grand Cherokee Land Rover Discovery Lincoln Navigator Mercedes-Benz C-Class (V6) Mercedes-Benz CLK Mercedes-Benz M-Class Mercedes-Benz S-Class Oldsmobile Bravada Oldsmobile Cutlass Plymouth Neon Pontiac Aztek Saturn Vue Volkswagen Golf Volkswagen Jetta Volkswagen New Beetle Volvo S80

Reply to
Tao

Cars have improved reliability wise dramatically during the last decade. Domestics are better than Japanese imports were when Japanese imports were considered super reliable. Of course Toyota and Honda continue to increase reliability so they are still on top. Most people consider their cars pretty reliable these days except for some screw up designs including expensive models from BMW and Mercedes. THere are lots of reasons to buy a particular car.... reliability is only one factor to consider.

Reply to
Art

No, CR doesn't use scientific methods.

Although notice how many European cars there are, even ones of prestige. People don't believe me when I tell them European cars are built as bad, if not worse than NA cars, plus parts and prices are much higher. Although that isn't really that good now that Chrysler is owned by Daimler.

Also they list the Plymouth Neon... not the Dodge Neon... Last I checked Dodges sold more, so there'd be more Dodge data.

Pontiac Aztek but not Buick Aztek ^H Rendezvous.

Lincoln Navigator but not Ford Expedition

Yet they do repeat some vehicles, like GC and T&C, and they some GM trucks: Jimmy/Blazer, Safari/Astro, etc.

How old is this list?

Reply to
Bill 2

There is a good reason why some "twins" may not both be listed. The twins may not share a particular troublesome component so one might be reliable and the other a lemon.

Reply to
Art

Our FWD GC hasn't performed much better.

Reply to
RWM

On what planet?

Reply to
Steve

CR Bad Bets

Be especially careful when considering these models. They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability in their

1997 to 2004 models. They are listed alphabetically.

=A0 =A0 =A0 Oldsmobile Cutlass

____Reply Separator_____

Wow! Telling someone to avoid a model that was last made in 1999 doesn't take a hell of a lot of b@!!$.

Reply to
TomKan

Toss the Consumer Reports garbage. They don't know jack!

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

What is the difference between a Plymouth and Dodge Neon? Is the badging on the trunk causing the Plymouths to be unreliable?

Reply to
Bill 2

Are they made on the same assembly line? Same plant? Same parts and suppliers?

Reply to
RWM

Yes, yes and yes.

Reply to
Bill 2

Apparently planet Earth where people keep on buying Camry's despite how ugly they are because they keep going with no fuss. My father just sold his 1987 Camry. He had 4 potential buyers for it without advertising.

Reply to
Art

If you actually read Consumer Reports you could have looked at their reliability charts and found that not only do they have identical records, there is only one chart for both cars. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Reply to
Art

Don't feed the troll.

Reply to
Art

Nothing like taking stuff out of context. It is a recommendation of used cars and it includes a list of unreliable models from 1997 thru 2004 model years. You make it look like a misprint. It is not. Your BS is just out of context.

CR Bad Bets

Be especially careful when considering these models. They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability in their

1997 to 2004 models. They are listed alphabetically.

Oldsmobile Cutlass

____Reply Separator_____

Wow! Telling someone to avoid a model that was last made in 1999 doesn't take a hell of a lot of b@!!$.

Reply to
Art

Then it should be listed as Dodge/Plymouth Neon, but it isn't.

Why isn't Astro and Safari listed as one? Or Blazer/ Jimmy? Those are identical vehicles. If CR chooses to group some identical twins together, but not others, that shows sub-par journalism.

Or

Reply to
Bill 2

It's trolling simply because my opinion doesn't match up with your opinion?

Reply to
Bill 2

The fact that "people keep buying them" means little. People keep buying Ford Tauruses only *slightly* less often than Camrys (it and the Camry traded best-selling car for years running).

Lots of people have been religiously buying into the Japanese quality myth for 30 years without EVER trying an American or European car. And I've personally had people INSIST that his Honda product was better than my Chrysler product, despite the fact that his had to go back to the dealer 7 times and mine never went once.

Reply to
Steve

Or most infamously, Prizm/Corolla. :-p

Reply to
Steve

ford was able to keep it sales numbers up for a while by dumping Taurus's on rental car agencies. Your buddy's Honda may have been a rare lemon. Chrysler has had a few of those too. Also Honda and Toyota dealers are notoriously bad. If you have one of those rare new Honda's or Toyota's with a problem, good luck getting it fixed. But most people find their Toyota and Honda extremely reliable compared to their last domestic make. Chrysler contributes to that by putting out cars like the Neon, and 4 speed transmissions with sensors that go bad, and AT dipsticks that say Dextron is ok.

Reply to
Art