Crank Case Sensor and rare stalling

1994 Voyager 3.0 liter Mitubishi Getting near 200,000 miles.

As D. Stern responded a while ago, very sensitive to the crankcase ventillation system. The entire PCV system was supposedly checked and Chrysler parts put in, even without asking me. My independent mechanic decided to do a tune-up that even the dealer would not have dared and charged more than the dealer which made me feel quite stupid. But okay. At least he did the PCV valve although I had asked him to do the same thing way before.

Car did run better though. Hoses were checked. Don't know if the throttle body was cleaned, doubt it.

Now I noticed it's still doing this rare but obvious misbehavior. Sometimes at 600 miles. Sometimes at 1000 miles.

Before, it was when the car was cold and had gone a few miles. Now I went about 100 miles and the engine was hot and then it just, while going at slow speed, stalled out repeatedly.

I did not check for a code though. I was a little panicky so pulled into a gas station to do my usual trick which is pour about half a quart of oil into the engine. For some reason, this always works. And I am going for another

600 miles or 1000 miles. It's so strange since I don't know if it's a coincidence or there is some indirect connection. It would help to accurately know the quantity of oil.

I find it hard to get a good reading on the oil. I would not be surprised if it's all a coincidence and I am actually not low on oil. Hard to read the dipstick, even if I leave it out to try and get an accurate reading. But I am not down much if at all. If I leave the dipstick out for 10 minutes and then take a reading, it seems to be a little more accurate, as someone suggested.

Any thoughts? Could the crankcase sensor be a little bad? Does that make sense at all? And the little bit of oil throws things into a different mode? Or some electronics are marginal? The car or vehicle, a minivan, has almost

200,000 miles so things are, touch wood, that is quite a few miles and would not be surprised if a sensor or an electronic module are a tad marginal.
Reply to
Treeline

Then it still needs doing!

Then it still needs doing!

There is no such sensor.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote: > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Treeline wrote: > > > Don't know if the throttle body was cleaned, doubt it. > > Then it still needs doing! > > > I did not check for a code though. > > Then it still needs doing! > > > Any thoughts? Could the crankcase sensor be a little bad? > > There is no such sensor. > > DS

We had a problem on out last van, a 93 with the 3.0. It stalled a few times in the course of a few months with no SES light and no symptoms. Know what it turned out to be? Distributor cap. So who knows.

Reply to
alec_b

That's a good guess for another problem on the same van. The distributor cap was replaced but it was really the wire going to the cap. But this was a relatively serious problem so somewhat easier to diagnose. The car would not start unless that wire was jiggled.

Reply to
Treeline

Good suggestion. I replaced my thermostat. Think I could do this, just a little harder, without a manual and dropping anything into the throttle? Could see the toothbrush or something falling inside. Really need to get the shop manual to feel comfortable and confidant. Waiting for the price to drop but they keep going up.

I did check, but too late, guess the code goes after so many successful starts.

Now you tell me. I listen to the Click and Clack Brothers that I know you just love :) Maybe I Click heard incorrectly, or was it Clack? Heh, I got most of the puzzlers recently. Now if I can translate that into cars...

Their last puzzler, what has no moving parts but does the same thing as one with thousands of moving parts? That's an old invention?

Air balloon and a plane? Too recent. Pencil and the original printing presses with all those thousands of letters of type needing to be set. You read the answer here first in this newsgroup!

Anyway, it's a crankshaft sensor then, yes? Has no "moveable" parts and does the same thing that a distributor used to do? Since I have a distributor not only do I not have a crank case sensor, but I also do not have a crankshaft senor in the 3.0 liter Mitsubishi V-6 1994?

Reply to
Treeline

Sure. Obtain new throttle body gaskets and bottle of Berryman's B12 ChemTool and some bristle brushes and Q-tips. Remove throttle body. Remove AIS motor from throttle body. Clean throttle body, AIS motor passages in throttle body, and AIS motor pintle thoroughly. Reassemble and reinstall w/new gaskets. Not hard.

Toothbrush = poor choice. Cleaner melts nylon bristles, and the resultant gummy goo will make things worse.

Terrific source for incorrect information and stupid jokes.

Uh...it could be, but I wouldn't replace it without data (diagnosis) indicating it's not working correctly.

No. Your 3.0 has a distributor. A crankshaft sensor just tells the engine control computer where the engine is, rotationally speaking. It does not do the same thing a distributor used to do.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern