Crate Engine

Hi, I've just gotten interested in the build it myself deal. Who turns out the best quality Crate Engines? Cr

crez9ey

I don't know about 'the Best', but Autozone has decent priced engines (assembled in Mexico) with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I put a 318 complete Long Block in my 87 4x4 pickup last year and was well pleased with the motor for $1000. Advanced Auto (two blocks from AZ) had a similiar engine/warranty package but my buddy at AZ guanteened he would beat any Advanced price by $200 and thats what he did. Go get a price quote from one supplier and then take it to another for a competitive price match (usually they will try to out do each other by $100 or so).

Reply to
Duncan

This post was spam, so you probably shouldn't be replying to it.

Reply to
Joe

I wouldn't trust a crate motor. I've heard too many sad stories about engines from Checker, Autozone, and the like. I have always rebuilt my engines. I would rather get an engine from a junk yard and rebuild it. It's not much harder than swapping engines, and you'll know what's in it (pistons, rings, bearings, etc). Let a machine shop bore it to fit the pistons, and balance the bottom end. They do hundreds of engines and have the people and tools to do a far better job than you or I ever could in our garage. The best part for me is putting it all back together. Nothing will put a smile on your face like hearing an engine you rebuilt come to life for the first time.

I recently rebuilt a '92 Mitsubishi 2.0L Turbo (4G63 6-bolt) for my '94 Eclipse (the 6-bolt engines have larger crank and rod bearings). I started it for the first time on May 5th of this year, and it now has just a little over 6,000 miles on it. During the rebuild I had oversized stainless steel valves installed, the head ported, along with higher compression ration pistons. I then installed HKS high lift cams, a Walbro high output fuel pump, larger Denso injectors, and reprogrammed the ECU. It will rip the tires loose in 1st when it hits 4000 RPM, and will get me over 30 MPG if I drive it half way reasonable. Do I sound like a proud father or what?

Reply to
Gyzmologist