Creaking/Crunching noise on '94 LHS when I turn the wheel - HELP!

About a month ago, when I would turn the wheel (no matter how much) on my '94 LHS, it would faintly and occasionally make a creaking or crunching noise. I dismissed it. However, it has gotten more and more louder and occurs all the time. I took it into a very trusted mechanic who replaced the inner tie rod bushings and tie rod ends. Apparently the bushings were severely worn and the end tie rods were loose causing the front wheels to be loose. Spent $300 on that (most all of it was labor, apparently the "center take off system" is much more labor intensive.) I drove way thinking my worries were over. After this was fixed, the steering wheel is now "centered" in order to go straight. Before, I would have to have it to the left in order to go straight because the always wanted to go right. I was happy until I noticed that the noise is even more louder and occurs whenever I turn the wheel (no matter how slightly.) I only notice it when I am going around in town. On the highway, I don't notice it (speed?) It is 70-80 degrees F. The steering used to screech and groan LOUDLY in the winter and I was told that was normal by the dealer. However, it just started making the creaking in the hot weather. PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE! I have limited money, so I can't keep taking it into the garage. Is this a safety issue? Will my steering fail??? TIA

Reply to
Cookie

The steering wheel being off center to go straight is a simple matter of adjusting the toe adjusters (in the same direction rather than in opposite directions as when toe iteslf is being adjusted). All that means is that when he finished the job of replacing the parts, he did a proper alignment including centering the steering wheel - that could have been done before also, but apparently wasn't.

Does it also creek and groan when going over pavement? If so, it may be a simple matter of spraying a little lubricant on the strut rodsright where they enter the plastic bushing over the strut cylinder. Many 2nd gen LH owners find that that is a source of creaking noises, and the solution is to lubricate that area - I'm sure that 1st gen LH's use identical parts in that area. Don't use WD-40 - use a lubricant that has some staying power. STP makes a spray white lithium grease that worked great on my '99 Concorde for this problem.

If that's not the problem, find someone competent who can locate the source of the problem. It shouldn't be too hard since the problem apperas to be easily duplicated at all times now. It also could be strut upper bearing mounts, or maybe other suspension parts that are worn - but can't say from here - lube the strut rod, and if that doesn't fix it, have it properly diagnosed.

Bill Putney

One common issue on 1st generation LH vehicles are steering rack mount bushings that age and allow the rack to move slightly when the steering wheel is turned. This produces a groaning, creaking noise that's often loudest when turning the wheel at low speed or with the car stationary. For 1996 and newer, you have to order a complete rack and pinion assembly, but for 1995 and earlier you should be able to get the bushings separately. It's not an expensive fix--it can even be done DIY if you're patient and able to work in a tight space, and it shouldn't require any re-alignment when complete.

Your steering won't *fail*, but the noise will get progressively worse, and the steering will get sloppier and sloppier. For what it should cost to fix this (probably under $100), you should get it done.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff