Curious PT Cruiser Window Problem

The front windows creep down very slowly. The motion is modulated. Both front windows behave the same way. The other day they completely stopped lowering. And now today they are back to slow motion. However they both raise normally. The rear windows and the moon roof operate normally.

My guess it is something I will have to dismantle the dash for. If anyone has clues as to what component might be failing, what I'm looking for or where it is, that would be great. Also, is there any online reference for a wiring diagram for a 2002 PT Cruiser LE?

Thanks - Lee

Reply to
Lee Gillie

- $25 for first year, first vehicle; $15 for any additional vehicles or annual renewals thereafter. Schematics are 100% complete and right out of the FSM. With that you get other information right out of the FSM, though spotty/not complete, and you have access to full versions of all TSB's applicable to the vehicle.

Bill Putney

Ok, so the common component seems to be the EXPRESS DOWN MODULE, which I am told is located in the window switch assembly on the console, and only available through dealers. How bad is it to disassemble the dash to get to this to replace it myself, would be my next question?

Thanks again - Lee

Reply to
Lee Gillie

Called the local dealer today. They told me the EXPRESS DOWN MODULE can not be purchased separately as seen elsewhere. One must buy the entire center console switch block. Price is $106. Not knowing what kind of chore it would be to open up the center console, I asked how much to install? I was quoted another $72. So I am thinking after tax it is probably about a two hundred dollar bill. Eeeouch!

If you have any advice for a do-it-yourself with electronics background, but never had the dash apart, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks - Lee

Reply to
Lee Gillie

Price it on some on-line discount dealer sites like

or
- I think you will find you will save quite a bit on the part even after a nominal shipping charge - some dealers generally mark parts up a bit when they install (vs. carry out). For example, using such sites, I find OEM parts for 30 to 40% lower than the local dealer. That would make your $106 part in the $65 to $75 range plus maybe $8 or $10 shipping (*and* no sales tax).

If you can get a part number to plug in, that would be best as the drill downs don't list every part or are sometimes not organized very well (difficult to find a particular part even if it's in the drill down).

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
Lee Gillie

You're welcome - glad to help. Thanks for posting back.

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy