Dakota manual transmission problem.

I have a 93 dakota sport, Its has the v6 with the 5 speed gear box,no four wheel drive. The problem I am having is ,, all of the sudden i could not get it to go into third or fourth gear at all. It goes into first second and fifth and reverse no problem. I happened out of the blue while i was driving through town. The truck is a great truck , I have got over 280,000 miles out of this truck without any major engine repair or tranny repair, (just a clutch a couple years ago). I Have been driving it without those gears and it doesnt make any strange noises. Anyone out there with any idea of what could be wrong inside the gearbox please let me know what to look for. Either linkage or internal . I am very mechanically inclined, I just need to know what parts could have failed leaving me in this situation. Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated! Oh and the gear oil is up to snuff. I have changed that religiously every 50,000 miles.

Reply to
3l1t3

I have not touched a manual transmission for many years, but on the 4 speed Chrysler A-833 that I worked on, there were two shift *forks.* One would shift between first and second, and the other between third and fourth.

Fourth, actually connected the main shaft with the input shaft, so that it didn't use the countergear.

I am guessing that either the fork or the gear clusters that it slides along the shaft splines is binding for some reason. Reverse and fifth are most likely on their own shafts, so that is probably why their okay.

Is there an inspection plate that can be removed to check for proper operations?

With the mileage that is on the box, it is possible that some of the bearings are worn. If you *double clutch* is shifting any easier? If so, the brass sychronization rings could be worn. If many of the parts in the box are worn, and you don't wish to pay for a rebuild, you may be able to find a lower-mileaged used box at a salvage yard.

I would suggest locating a factory service manual that covers that transmission should you decide to repair it yourself.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson