dash and seats

Hi everyone...

Seeking a little more advice, if I may?

This 94 lhs (new to me) is absolutely just like new. Not a mark on the (plastic) dash, nary a rip or scratch or even discolored fold mark in any of the leather. So nice that if you couldn't recognize the year you might well think it was brand new :)

Naturally I'd like to keep it that way. So, wonder if any of you might have good advice on preventive maintenance. Will any of the "moisturizers" (armor all, for instance) keep the dash from cracking and warping? Or any other product? As for the leather seats, any product that will help to keep them in their current pristine shape?

Should perhaps mention that it sits outside; very soon to be in minus 40 degree weather, then come summer in +100 degrees.

Thanks in advance, appreciate it. :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

If you apply lubricate/sealers to the dash upper panel you may cause squeaks down the road.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Garage it.

Moisturizers won't help that, you want plastic UV protectant. It's sold in auto parts stores and also sporting goods stores where it's used to protect fiberglass boats. Basically sunscreen for plastic. Lots of products on the market to choose from.

alo vera gell, neatsfoot oil, once again there's lots of leather care products available. Remember, leather is skin, basically the same skin care products that soften and moisturize human skin work on cow skin. Even human body oil, if you like to take long drives with no clothes on, that will help. ;-)

I have leather seats in 2 of my cars, and I usually avoid the car leather care care products and buy instead leather care products used for boots, saddles, etc. The main reason is price, the auto care care manufacturers seem to think that anyone with leather seats must have money coming out their ass, whereas the sporting goods places and shoe and boot places have always sold leather care products to people.

Just remember that leather needs to stay lubed, you do that with oil, leather doesen't care whether that oil is nice pleasant smelling leather oil, or stinky filthy motor oil. If the leather is dry, it will suck oil from whatever source it can find, grease from a hamburger left on the seat, fingerprints from your hand, motor oil from the gallon milk jug you filled with used oil and didn't wipe off and carelessly set on the passenger seat. If you fail to keep it lubed it will stiffen up then when you sit on it it will crack.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt