DEALER tire rotation w/ full size spare, One dealers "POLICY" FYI

DEALER tire rotation w/ full size spare, One dealers "POLICY" FYI

So it hit 7k miles and since the dealer gives out free loaner cars (in this case it was a huge Jeep Wrangler I had to pull myself into as compared to my Sebring) I ask to include the tire rotation in the oil change/check service and I state to the service writer "it has a full size spare" he responds with "we'll take care of that"

I had numbered the tires before I turned the car over to him. I get it back and I see all they did was move the front to the back on that same side and the back to the front on the same side. I'll take that as an new update to the owners manual :)

So I find the same and only service writer on the Saturday and ask him if he remembers me stating I had a full size spare and he responding we'll take care of that, he says YES. He adds that they "don't include the spare in the rotation so as to keep it as a good tire" rather than dwell on the situation I move on and state SO IF I want the spare included in the rotation I have to specifically state that, he responded yes.

Should I go for a rotation again at this dealer I'll remember I have to specifically state that, "I want the spare included in the rotation"

FYI

Reply to
Mr.X

good idea!!

Reply to
maxpower

Yep - goes along with the "Easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission" philosophy of the modern business world. It's almost gotten to the point that every time I leave my car anywhere for service I have them sign a pre-prepared set of rules that they accept before I leave it. Things like using a torque wrench on lug nuts; any fasteners that you remove will be re-installed (i.e., they are my personal property not yours to throw away or keep or give to your buddy or put on your car); if you are adjusting something (such as an alignment) and something's not coming out right, call me so together we can figure out the path that I decide on for resolving it - don't just leave an issue that I have to pay a second time to get resolved but I don't find out about it until I come to pick it up - again, the car is my personal property not yours - I decide the risks I take and the costs to be incurred, and it's my decision as to how it is maintained and the best way to resolve any problems - if there is a problem with it, it's not your right to decide what's "good enough"; etc.

That aside - on your tire rotation, I take it that your tires are non-directional tread type?

Bill Putney

The policy in the owners manual for a 5 tire rotation on our Jeeps, is to put the spare on the right rear, right rear to right front, right front to spare and front to back on the left side. The idea is the right rear has the most wear as it is the primary drive tire and spins first so wears the most. The 3 swap is supposed to equal the 2 swap on the other side.

So to 'fix' yours, you just have to swap the spare with the right rear tire.

Some vehicles are labeled LT or left tire drive, so their 3 and 2 swap would be on the other side.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

Where did you read it was free , you did'n't ! , that botch job cost me $24.95 , what was free was the overnight Jeep Wrangler loaner

As the OP I would have used my earthlink Mr X newsserver to respond, but that has network problems.

Reply to
jonwill

If my spare as new as yours I include it in the rotation until it is about 50% worn. IMO your dealer didn't want to bother with rotating the spare, also since very few cars have a matching spare they are probably in the habit of not even looking at it.

Reply to
Some O

I agree. or all 5 are worn totally

That's exactly why I mentioned "full size spare" to the sevice writer, as another posted it was easier for them to give me the BS and indicate I didn't clearly state to the N th degree to include it in the rotation It was easier for me to just move on than debate the fine points of language communications, hell it's just a tire rotation

for those out there that use Earthlink news servers, it's been down a full week now.

Mr. X

Reply to
Ned