Detroit Motor Show 2006 / UK journalist's view

It might interest some of you to read a well-known UK journalist's preview of the imminent Detroit Motor Show. Retro continues to be in.

The article appears in today's Sunday Times, the UK's biggest-selling quality Sunday paper.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

As I type this (11:30 am sunday) I'm watching the local NBC affilliate in Detroit (WDIV - channel 4) as they cover the first press day of the show.

They are showing the unveiling of concept cars, announcing award winners, etc. They are broadcasting live from Cobo center. They just showed the GM Enclave concept (official unveiling at 2:15 pm).

Honda Civic wins 2006 North American car of the year.

They are talking about Chrysler's elaborate unveilings in the past and how this year is sure to top them all, and how they make everyone around sign NDA's prior to the unveiling.

Reply to
MoPar Man
11:47 am

Truck of the year (North American truck of the year?) is 2006 Honda Ridgeline.

Honda is first company to win both car and truck of the year in same year.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Ford Reflex concept looks like Crossfire with gull-wing doors. Especially the rear end.

MoPar Man

See what I mean here:

MoPar Man

Live coverage is finished until 7 pm tonight, then a wrap-up at 11:30 pm.

Charity preview night is next friday night which would put the first day open to the general public on Saturday Jan 14.

Until then, here's a link to up-to-date news from the show:

MoPar Man

In those years I couldn't stand the large NA cars, so I went import.

Looks like that may again be my direction, I'm sad to say. I really enjoyed the great NA cars of the 80s/90s though, but the nice ride appears over for me. I'm just a contrarian perhaps, that's how I invest and it works as the sheep follow in other directions.

How can they ignore the fast rising gasoline prices? Obviously bad long range planning, so now they have to bend the metal a bit to sell the over large cars they planned several years back when low cost gasoline was the norm.

Reply to
Spam Hater