disabling abs

I have a 2002 Dodge, Durango with (allwall) rear abs system. And in my opinion the worst design ever.

*I need in know how to disable this system to have standard braking. :eek: *

I don't want a system the allows the front wheels to lockup while the rear wheels (power wheels) to continue going. The steering control is gone and still being propelled forward---- not good nor is it safe. :nono:

Thank you

Reply to
mdmajestic

I have no experience with the Durango, but in general, without ABS and the truck unloaded, if you're in a situation where you're locking up your front wheels, your rear wheels will *definitely* be locked up. In fact, on wet roads, this phenomenon is so exagerated that it can be unsafe in normal (non-panic) stopping.

The whole idea of putting ABS on a pickup truck is to keep it as manageable as possible in a panic stop under all (highly variable) conditions: Wet pavement, unloaded being the absolute worst-case condition (for rear wheel lockup); dry pavement, partially loaded being the best-case condition.

I don't agree with your reasoning. If for nothing else, I can't imagine a situation in which you're simultaneously jamming on the brakes *and* the accelerator! That is faulty reasoning.

I have an older pickup truck without ABS, and believe me - when the road is wet (and no load in the bed), it doesn't take much braking at all to lock the rear wheels up - and that is nowhere near panic-stop braking. I have considered putting manually controllable valves in the rear brake lines to completely disable the rear brakes when the roads are wet.

Having ABS on pickup trucks makes a *lot* of sense.

Bill Putney

Ye,s if that is the infamous bendix 10 abs that has the permanent warranty on it. Is there a warning label on the brake booster about 10,000 psi of pressure and not to fool with anything? If so, then yep, you have it.

People have done it - you have to gut the braking system and get a bunch of parts from a wrecker from a non-abs car of the same model. Someone put up a website somewhere, you can google it. It's non-trivial and there isn't going to be a mechanic you will find that would touch it due to the liability.

When that system is operating normally that doesen't happen. The key words are "operating normally" which often, they don't.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

So, with that system, there is a credible situation in which the front wheels would be locked up and the rear wheels would still be getting torque from the engine?

Bill Putney

Ummm... a 2002 DURANGO? With rear-only ABS? I've never heard of such a thing.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
philthy

Wow. I thought we'd gotten beyond that in about 1992...

Reply to
Steve

Hi. I din't get the begening of your conversation but my ABS light in the control panel is on on a 98 Voyager. What appened? Thank you. L.G.R.

"Steve" a écrit dans le message de news: fpadnSfO-9svFfHbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@texas.net...

Reply to
L.G.R.