dodge 2000 caravan turns over,but will not start.

Bummer

Reply to
nospam

There's these places called gas stations you need to visit every once in a while.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

thanks for the info,but it has gas in it . i just bought gas and pulled into a drive thru. and it had a funny smell to it and it shut off. and i couldn't get it to restart. i thought some one might have a idea, not something smart. thanks any how.maybe you should go be a commedian.because you don't seem to know any thing either! any one else have any thoughts on this?

and it is a bummer! when you have to pay a tow truck to get it home.

Reply to
tessyk

Hey, just a bit of fun. You didn't say if you wanted to try to fix it or not.

Does it have spark? Pull a plug wire, put a spare plug on it, lay it on the engine, have assistant crank engine, is there spark?

Does it have fuel? Crank engine for a while then stop and remove a plug, is there gas on it, can you smell gas from the plug hole?

If yes to the above then slipped timing belt or chain.

If no fuel then check electrical to fuel pump, if good electrical then pump bad.

If no spark then get Alldata subscription or factory service manual and follow the procedures in the ignition section for troubleshooting a no-start condition

Ted

Reply to
tedm

I don't believe there is a way to check for fault codes without a scanner on these later models.

What engine? 2.4, 3.0, 3.3, or 3.8?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Check with your local library, they might have an alldata subscription. You just need to pay for the pages you print out.

------------ Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

You put diesel in it.

Reply to
nospam

Reply to
philthy

thanks alot .i useally can take a joke!!!. today i had another van go down. it is a 1999 chevy venture. the oil light came on and then it started the van started shaking and then it would not move. now i have two to get back on the road.

Reply to
tessyk
2.4 ENGINE TESTED IT ON SCANNER IT SAID P0340 CAMSHAFT SENSOR A BANK 1 CIRCUIT VALVE
Reply to
tessyk

Well, there you go, the cam sensors do die. Replace the sensor see if it starts then if it runs, drive it and see if it sets another code.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I CHANGED THAT .AND STILL WILL NOT START.

WHAT DOES BANK 1 MEAN?

Reply to
tessyk

TED, I HAD ANOTHER VAN DIE LAST WEEK. 1999 CHEVY VENTURE. YELLOW OIL LIGHT CAME ON.1 1/2 DOWN ROAD THE RED OIL LIGHT CAME ON VAN STARTED TO CUT OUT. I SHUT IT DOWN RIGHT AWAY, TRYED TO RESTART IT, IT TRYS ,BUT I STARTS JUMPING ALL OVER AND SHUTS DOWN .ANY THOUGHT ON THAT? THANKS.

Reply to
tessyk

I CHANGED THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR? WAS THAT IT.

Reply to
tessyk

changed the cam sensor,still no good! any more thoughts?

Reply to
tessyk

What are the results of the "diagnose no-start condition" test sequence listed in the factory service manual?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt