Dodge Caliber?

I'm thinking of actually getting one!!!

At least a test drive first, but I want a manual 1.8L which won't be available 'till the summer :(

Anyone given thought to this car... It is NOT really all that fuel efficient, and it's really heavy. I hope this reflects on it's crash test results when they are published

Reply to
M.R.S.

Why would being not fuel efficient and heavy reflect in the crash test results?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

The chassis structure is one seriously heavy component... and with weight you have a fuel efficiency penalty.

Typically, the IIHS uses vehicle weight for crash data.. IIHS prefers something a little bit more substantial than a Geo Metro.

Reply to
M.R.S.

I'm curious how well the 300-hp SRT4 version performs. Aside from being FWD, it has the makings of a hot rod.

Thanks,

Scott Moseman

M.R.S. wrote: >

Reply to
Scott Moseman

Weight doesn't help you when you are crashing into a fixed barrier, which is what I believe both the government and IIHS do for their crash tests. Weight only helps if you are hitting something lighter than you and moveable.

How does it use vehicle weight for crash data? I thought they actually crashed the cars.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I looked at one and saw lots of them at 3 different dealerships while shopping for a PT Cruiser.

In one place the sales people were hyper about it. Trying to make it out as the hot "Gotta Have It" car of the year.

It has lots of neat toys for the money. Lots of gizmos. The 110 volt AC plug in the center console and places to put toys, cellphones, etc. The factory drop down from the tailgate ghetto blaster speakers for those that just have to share their favorite sounds.

What tuned me off was I don't think it would haul as much stuff in one shot as the PT Cruiser (not a fault, just my needs) and that CVT tranny.

New technology is great but I don't want to be paying for a rebuild every couple of years because I bought into version 1.0 CVT in the DCX stable.

Reply to
Steve Stone

"Matt Whiting" wrote

True, but I think the reference to weight equaling crash worthiness relates to the fact that for any given size class of vehicle, it takes structure and devices devoted to crash protection to produce good crash results. Specifically, crumple zones, reinforced body elements and such add-ons as door impact bars, stronger seat attachments, shock absorbers, extra air bags etc. All this adds weight.

Reply to
Dave Gower

"Steve Stone wrote: "I looked at one and saw lots of them at 3 different dealerships while shopping for a PT Cruiser. In one place the sales people were hyper about it. Trying to make it out as the hot "Gotta Have It" car of the year. It has lots of neat toys for the money. Lots of gizmos. The 110 volt AC plug in the center console and places to put toys, cellphones, etc. The factory drop down from the tailgate ghetto blaster speakers for those that just have to share their favorite sounds. What tuned me off was I don't think it would haul as much stuff in one shot as the PT Cruiser (not a fault, just my needs) and that CVT tranny. New technology is great but I don't want to be paying for a rebuild every couple of years because I bought into version 1.0 CVT in the DCX stable."

One reason they are being pushed so hard is there is a competition amongst salesman across the regions dealerships for a chance to go to a test track and drive one wide open around the track.

CVT technology is not version one but two. It has been around in other applications for a while. I have them on variable speed equipment I operate inside a large chemical plant. Never had a CVT mechanical failure but have had other failures with the equipment (process side).

I don't work for DC but have do contract on my off days to a local Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealer on occasions to transport vehicles. I have had the opportunity to drive just about every model out there. My services have also been obtained by a Ford and Chevy dealership so I get to drive a lot of different makes and models.

When I drove the Caliber it was not the RT model but the midrange model. It had plenty of pickup when pulling out in traffic and was not very uncomfortable for a 6 hour drive. It handled well except when I was on a bridge crossing a lake and the wind was blowing across the highway. The car was pushed in the same direction as the wind was going. It was not much worse then my Chevy 1500 when I have no weight in it. Only my Chevy 3500 or Dodge 2500 hold the road in strong winds and that is only due to weight and being a dolly.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

Hi Sarge,

The SXT automatic is the only Caliber available at the moment from what I understand.. The manual 1.8 will be delivered in the summer, same with the R/T.

Reply to
M.R.S.

"M.R.S." wrote: "The SXT automatic is the only Caliber available at the moment from what I understand.. The manual 1.8 will be delivered in the summer, same with the R/T.

The one I had the chance to drive was at the dealership the day I returned from a delivery. It was factory reps given the sales people their training. It was an automatic and not the RT model. I believe it was the middle model with all the extras for show and tell. I was able to take it for about a 5 mile test run. The dealership I transport for has a few base model and only sold one or two out of the first shipment they received. I was over there Friday and someone bought one.

Sarge

Reply to
Licker

Where is the Caliber made?

Am I right in thinking that for some unknown reason Chrysler did not actually have the Caliber on display at the Detroit auto show in January?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Belvedere plant

Reply to
Punch

Reply to
jdoe

Anyone test driven the Caliber yet? I've got high hopes for it. It has a lot of youth-friendly features, and it would be perfect for a tailgate with the flip out trunk speakers, and cooling glove box.

Reply to
Tony Stewart Fan

Several auto mags have tested it, with mixed reviews.

The consensus seems to be that it's a car with potential but needs further development.

I hope the mags are wrong but suspect that again, a U.S. car has been brought to market with too much cost cutting and not enough engineering.

Also, Car and Driver mag complained that the units are being loaded up enough with options so that the $13998 base price is unrealistic with the average Caliber going for over $20K - too high a price for its target market.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I read some reports about the Caliber after the Detroit Auto show and most people were pretty positive. It apparently has a lot of potential for customizing and has a lot of cool features. I'll be interested to test drive one.

Reply to
Tony Stewart Fan

Not surprising with so much new technology.

A car brought to the home market hasn't the luxury of user testing as the imports have.

Here in Canada the C$18,000 model was missing a few power items I want. For C$20,000 (about US$17,000) it had all I want, including the 2.0L engine and CV Trans. This car (?) is on my short list, but I'm not buying anything for 3 more years. IMO it is priced very competitively.

Reply to
Joshie2

Unfortunately in today's competitive market, this is not going to be an acceptable excuse.

Reply to
Art

Well, you know, for $15,000, you can't expect much.

Reply to
Joe

Maybe yes, maybe no. For just $1300 more than that, I got quite a lot in my 06 Sonata.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting