Dodge Camper van - air shocks

Hi:

I have a recently acquired 1981 Dodge camper van. Wondering if anyone has experience with the possible benefits of using air shocks on such a rig. So far as I know all the suspension on it now is just factory stock.

Dave

Reply to
dave.mcc

The only thing air shocks do is increase ride height when carrying loads. Thus, they're more useful for applications like pickups, where the load in the bed varies a lot. They may help out on a van conversion to cope with heavier loads when going on vacation, but if the stock ¾ ton suspension copes well enough, I wouldn't bother. However, if it's a ½ ton, you may want them.

One problem with air shocks is that they have a very limited air space in the air bladder, and thus will give a rough ride, even when loaded. They also tend to tear up shock mountings if used at highest pressures. I had air shocks on my F-250 for years, and only used them when the bed was loaded near to its maximum rating; the stock rear springs did a good enough job in most cases. However, when you're not using them, you still have to keep a minimum pressure in them to keep the air bladder from tearing up during regular ride motions.

What I'd do is load up your van with what you'd normally take on a trip, and check the ride height. If you're noticing a "droop" in the rear especially, they might help out. Another probably better solution would be overload, or "helper" springs, like Helwigs et al.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

what would you know about air shocks and ride height ?? you drive a

1978 Honda !
Reply to
duty-honor-country