Dodge Caravan serpentine belt slipping off

I own a 2000 Dodge Caraven and have had the serpentine belt slip off twice. The belt has not been damaged and the mechanics at a very reliable shop have replaced it. The mechanic told me that this is a common problem with Caravans but that they have not seen anything come from Dodge with regard to the problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue and is there a good solution? I feel like I'm driving a time bomb waiting to go off.

Reply to
rverdery

i would check belt tensioner possible worn bearing.belt is misaligned causing it to walk off

Reply to
inafogg

This is usually caused by a bad tensioner. Also check to make sure the serpentine belt lower splash shield is in place.

Reply to
Mike

They haven't looked very hard... there's a TSB that addresses the problem. Also, Gates sells a belt with groves on both sides and matching idler pulley.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Had the same problem (unfortunately on christmas eve). Took it to Goodyear after reading posts on Chrysler forums. They installed a new serpentine belt (their GATORback belt which is slightly smaller then stock) and a new tensioner. So far no problems in 8 months and i live in a wet climate.

Reply to
R Miller

Reply to
philthy

I own a 2000 caravan as well and this has been a problem for me also....like someone else said there is a tsb ,that explains the fix but all i did was get disc, (not sure of the part number but it came from the dealer) that bolts onto the side of the tensioner and stops the belt from being able to slide off...worked for years now...ill never buy another chrysler product again...what a horseshit design! "Belt/pulley design on this van is flawed and a major safety hazard, Chrysler should recall" but they refuse...also make sure you get a dealer belt , any other squeaks! wish i knew the part number for the disc..good luck!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Does anyone know what the fix is the tsb explains ? I have a friend that has a 2000 Caravan and it comes off normally when it rains. I haven't seen it to know if the tensioner is the problem...

thanks, nick

Reply to
ncs

The TSB gives part numbers for and instructs the installation of a large stamped (for lack of a better description) washer on one of the idler pulleys. The part essentially acts as a fence to keep the belt from moving off of the idler pulley. Naturally, you need to verify that the tensioner is functioning properly and inspect and correct the drain pipes from the windshield wiper module to be sure they are not draining water on top of the belt(s). When you get the parts from the dealership, check that the bolt they're selling you actually fits thru the stamped washer, last one I got the bolt was wrong even though the part number was right. Mis-boxed perhaps?

The fix works.

Reply to
aarcuda69062