Dodge Intrepid 2.7L engine failure

Hi all,

2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2.7L, 52K miles. Engine blown.

This vehicle was purchased used about 7 months ago. Had been running great, then one morning it suddenly sounded like a diesel engine. A pronounced knocking sound from the engine compartment. The oil level was checked and was found to be good.

We took it to an independent servicer, who said it was probably the timing chain. He said it was a bear to work on, and recommended taking the car to a dealer. The dealer wanted $87 to do a diagnostic. When they called, they said it was the timing chain and tensioner, but wanted an additional $300 to do a "tear down" before they would have a complete estimate. They later called back and said the engine had metal shavings and would require a complete engine replacement at about $6500.

Meanwhile, we began to do a little research on the internet and found hundreds of examples where others had the same problem. (For example see

) It seems to be common with the2.7L used in the Intrepid and LHS. From my reading and understandingof the problem, it appears the engine was designed with very tighttolerances on the oil passages, restricting the oil flow. The oil thenpools around the heads and burns leaving a "sludge" residue. The other common theme we discovered, is that Chrysler is in a complete state of denial, and refuses to accept any responsibility. They actually blame the defect on the consumer, citing "lack of maintenance" If the problem was truly due to neglect, as they claim, why is the 2.7L having the great majority of the problems? Why not across the board?

Sure enough, when we called the Customer Service to seek some kind of concession, we were absolutely denied any kind of help, citing customer neglect. When we said the vehicle was purchased just seven months ago from another Dodge dealer, and was properly maintained, he said we should go after them.

I'm curious, has anyone had any success in getting Chrysler to provide assistance? I understand Toyota had a similar problem with one of their engines, but now provide reimbursement for repairs relating to sludge problems

Thanks for any help or suggestions, Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

The 2.7L is also used on the Concorde, and, by my unbderstanding, also on oversees LH vehicles (300M's, etc.).

A google search on this ng will also turn up some discussion on the issue, but nothing really definitive. It sounds like you know more about the causes than I did already.

I find it strange that DC is using the 2.7 as the base engine in some of its new models. The obvious questions are did they really uderstand the root cause of the problems on the ones used in the LH vehicles, and did they fix the problems on the ones being built now. Kind of stupid of the answer is "no", but I don't doubt anything. Bill Putney (to reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with "x")

Reply to
Bill Putney

Interesting statement - where did you find that info.? I had speculated a similar cause, but have not been able to find much fact or speculation elsewhere.

Bill Putney

I've heard that the 2.7 is prone to sludge problems, but I had heard that it applies only to engines that were not maintained to the schedule. I take it it was a used vehicle when you purchased it? If so, the oil probably wasn't changed as often as it should have been by the previous owner(s).

Curious though. Many used car dealers will cover these things for either the balance of the new car warranty OR 12 months, which ever is longer. Since you purchased it 7 months ago, won't the used car dealer you bought it from cover this?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Actually, the service writer at the dealership made reference to oil flow problems in these particular engines relating to sludge, as she said they have narrow oil passages.

Then I saw a couple references while surfing the net, ie

also

Here's a link to an "Automotive News" article. Although relating to Toyota, it seems to address many of the same issues.

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

Toyota cares about the customer and takes care of them. DC knows it's a problem but doesn't care. Mine blew at 82,000KM after carefull maintenance. They first said it was a maintence issue. After I provided the bills from the dealer for all service work. The response I got was "Tough luck". After driving Chrysler cars since 1980(Including 7 new ones) I am now a Nissan owner and just love the car. In two years and 1/2 years my only service experience is oil changes. My wifes previous 96 Minivan had tons of problems also(Tranny,Head casket,Steering rack,ECT).

The best advice for you or anyone else is to remember this at your next purchase and stay clear of DC products.

Reply to
zair

On what evidence do you base this assertion about Toyota? I don't have experience with Toyota beyond the showroom as I was treated so poorly by the arrogant salesman that I've never bought one. Their "Toyota's are so good you don't need a test drive and must stand in line for one and take it sight unseen" attitude turned me off in literaly seconds.

I owned a Honda Accord lemon once and Honda didn't stand behind their vehicle AT ALL and, to top it off, sent me a nasty response to my letter to their zone office accusing me of failing to maintain the car properly. After I send them a large envelope stuffed with a copy of my detailed maintenance log book, they backed off on the poor maintenance accusation and said that "80,000 miles of service was within the expected life tolerance for a Honda engine." Sorry, but this is the only engine I've ever owned that I didn't take to over 100,000 miles before needing internal mechanical work, and since Honda's standards are so low (at least they were in 1988), I've never bought another Honda of any description.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Some Toyota engines are known for having sludge problems as well. I've heard this exact same story from Toyota owners. I don't theink the car companies are that much different from one another. I would suggest using only synthetics in these newer DOHC engines (regardless of make)...that's all I use any more.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Great links, Alan. I've been looking for discussion of that issue for a long time. While some of it is pretty emotional, there are things to be learned there.

Bill Putney

Technicality here, but I think you guys really mean "tight or small clearances" or something similar rather than "tight tolerances". The oil passages could be 3" or 0.030" in diamater with tight tolerances - the latter would have problems, the former clearly would not even with very loose tolerances. It's the nominal size of the passages that is the first-order issue, not the tolerances, per-se. Otherwise, good discussion.

Bill Putney

I'm curious what changes are necessary to replace a 2.7 with a 3.2 or

3.5? Motor mounts, wiring, computer, etc? One used parts dealer had a 3.2L engine from a 2000 Intrepid he was selling for $1100. (I believe he said it had 57K miles) Almost none had 2.7's available, but the few that did wanted $2600 or more.

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

If you live near Indianapolis you can go here for about $4500 + tax, seems to include everything

I live in Chicago and don't have a 2.7 but seems like it would be a lot less than $7,000 even after tax

Reply to
Ted

what year concorde? all the ones i've seen are 3.3 or 3.5

Reply to
robs440

'99. I'm not sure when or if they stopped using the 2.7 in the Concorde

- maybe '01 or '02?

For the '98 and '99, maybe the '00, I believe the 2.7L was the more common engine in the Concordes and Intrepids (LX and ES).

Bill Putney

I plan on removing my oil pan in a few weeks for a stripped out drain plug thread. I plan on taking photos of the underside, oil pickup screen etc., and inside the pan, and will post. It will be interesting to see the difference with the method I've been using to keep down sludge.

By the way - you shouldn't attach photos to a news group post - better to link to a web-based file that the reader can go to if interested.

Bill Putney

im well aware of news group etiquette on attaching photos bill, but thanks........

its a one time thing and i didnt have time to up load them to the site.

Reply to
robs440

Toyota sent letters to owners of the questionable engine stating that repairs will be made for free up to 80k miles provided you can prove at least 1 oil change was made per years. Why 80K mile limitation? I presume if it doesn't show up by then it won't ever be a problem with proper maintenence.

Reply to
Arthur Begun

the 94 i just bought shows only 3.3 and 3.5 as options

understanding

Reply to
robs440

Oops - sorry - I'm used to thinking only in terms of the 2nd generation LH cars. The first 3 or so years of the 2nd gen ('98, ...) were available with 2.7L. I think you're right - no 1st gen's with 2.7L.

Bill Putney

and only the Concorde and Intrepid, and overseas versions of the 300M.

Bill Putney