Dodge Intrepid to be replaced with - ?

--------- "2005 Dodge Magnum wagon: This performance-oriented wagon rides on the new rear-wheel-drive LX chassis. About 80 percent of the Magnums sold will have either a 2.7-liter or a 3.-5-liter V-6 engine. The Magnum's optional engine is a 340-hp, 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 producing 365 pounds-feet of torque. The Magnum is a high-volume unit replacing the Dodge Intrepid, a model that sold 111,356 units in 2002."

---------

Basically, this continues the trend of eliminating sedans from Dodge and turning it into a truck/SUV badge (where is the Dodge Charger?)

The reason why the LX is the comprimise chasis that it is is because it's doing double duty as both sedan and UV-wagon (hence the boxy, slab-sided 300C with it's high belt line).

It will be interesting to see if the Magnum will canibalize sales of the Pacifica (will someone tell me why they need both?).

---------- "Reworking the Chrysler brand image is a longer-term strategy, Zetsche says, adding that Chrysler will remain a volume brand. But over time, Chrysler will field more vehicles that have a "premium advantage," further distancing the brand from Dodge, he says."

----------

Translation: Dodge Viper is history, and so are Dodge sedans.

---------- "It's a no-win game to sell 'commodity' products distinguished only by their big discounts, Zetsche says. "You have to differentiate yourself in the product. We want more and more customers coming to us because they are excited about our product, not just because we announced an incentive."

-----------

You want excitement - you stupid ass? Bring back the Hemi-300 concept from 3 years ago. Bring back the Charger concept too. Instead you give us a Bentley look-alike. How can I be excited by what is supposed to be a luxury sports sedan when it shares the same chasis as an SUV/Wagon? How many sedan choices will I have from Chrysler/Dodge in 2005? 2006?

This is the Mercedes-ification of Chrysler cars (very little difference on the outside, more engine choices on the inside). Those Germans don't like model names - only numbers. The 300M badge suited their needs just fine. In a few years we'll have the 330, 360, etc. I'll take the name Sebring or Concorde or Charger any day over a set of 3 digits.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Pacifica is awd (Magnum won't be, at least at first) or fwd. Seating inside is quite different (2+2+2 instead of 2+3). Using Lexus as an analogy, Magnum is the IS300 SportCross; Pacifica is the RX330.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

What strikes me as being dumb is that the Pacifica is so wide.... then they go ahead and make it 2x2x2 seating. Maybe they should have tried stadium seating. Or how about having the seats parallel with the sides of the car. Bunk bed style seating perhaps?

Different isn't always better.

Magnum's

Dodge

because