Dodge Neon 1995 engine block

1st, the dealer states the gasket needs replaced. Now the dealer states the engine block needs replaced. A mechanic said he has never seen this engine block need replaced that the dealer is scamming me so be careful and check the head for warpage/damage. Much antifreeze is being used up in a day. Rough idling. Should I look at the oil color, antifreeze color, call the Better Business Bureau, to follow up on my dealer?
Reply to
Bill

What would you claim with the Better Business Bureau? So far, you have no evidence.

It seems to me that your only alternatives are either to trust the dealer or to take the car elsewhere for a second opinion.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Here is the result of Head gasket problem/ I cracked my block and seen the crack myself. Had to get a new engine installed cost me appx. $1300.00. Engine, hoses & antifreeze-$650.00, Labor-$650.00.

My problem originally started with gurgling sounds like boiling water appx three years prior to engine replacement. Constantly adding water and antifreeze to cooling system. I replaced radiator & radiator cap, but the problem still occured. I now realized I needed a head gasket because my engine was using (sucking) coolant into the cylinder. More coolant was being lost and I was adding more and more coolant. Apparently the head gasket was getting very bad and needed replaced. Except I overheated the engine that the engine block cracked so that now every 3 miles I was adding 1 gallon of water to the collant. I would open the pressure relief valve on the radiator cap and much air was being sucked into the collant system since so much collant was being sucked into the cylinders. I suggest that any Neon owner replace the head gasket within one year of suspecting that a head gasket needs replaced. I suggest any potential Neon owner have the dealer replace the head gasket prior to purchace. If they don't do it, go buy the neon somewhere else. There are plenty on the road and you can always find one.

Reply to
Bill

When the headgasket went bad on my 2.5, it would pressurize the system, and push the coolant into the overflow tank. I was having to check the coolant level each time I left my house. It was an expensive fix, but solved the problem.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson