Dodge Ram 1500 Noise

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, single cab. I got it used at 3 years old. Within a month an odd and irritating noise turned up coming from somewhere in the front. In the last 2 years it's been on Dodge service centers 3 times for a total of 9 days and they still can't find what causes the noise.

Hard to describe it, kinda like a hollow metal clanging sound, never loud, gets more quite when it rains and there's high moisture content in the air, gets louder when it's cold and dry. It's only audible when the truck is moving but never when standing still such as at a red light, etc. Recently discovered that the noise instantly stops when the truck is shifted from drive to neutral (automatic transmission). Example: when driving down the street at, say, 20 mph, the noise can be heard. It's frequent and constant. But at the same speed if I shift it out of gear into neutral the instantly noise stops. It resumes the second I shift it back into drive.

Anyone else have this problem, or know what it might be?

Please reply via email to: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Thanks.

Reply to
Traypak