Dodge Ram sales under additional pressure from new Honda Ridgeline

Earlier this month the Financial Times (UK) reported that yet another non-US manufacturer (Honda) is having a crack at the US pick-up truck market.

Of course you all know this, but what I thought interesting is that the Detroit Big 3 still have more than 71% "light truck" market (which includes people carriers).

Yet they only have 43% of passenger car sales.

I guess with so many non-Big-3 companies manufacturing in the USA it should not come as the surprise it did to me.

Does anybody know what the figure for actual imports is? Obviously cars like the passenger cars of Mercedes-Benz and BMW are imports, but they make up only a small proportion of total US car sales.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The Dodge Ram is a full size truck and the Honda Ridgeline is a mid-size "SUT". The Ridgeline will/should butt head to head with the Ford Explorer Sport-Trac and other smaller 4 door pick ups and not the full size Ram.

Reply to
CopperTop

Most people in the UK who buy 4x4 'off-roaders' carry their bales of hay from their Chelsea farms to the Harrods market... equivalent to, say, SoHo farmers going to Bloomingdales... :-)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling