Dodge Stratus Transmission Problems (STRATUS)

HERE WE GO AGAIN: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1995 Dodge, STRATUS, six cylinder, with an automatic transmission. Well it's happening again, sometimes it will go into first and not shift to any higher gear. Other times it will stay in the default mode (2nd gear).

I've taken it to the Dodge dealer and the say it's a bad transmission ($3,500.00) to replace.

I've also taken it to several transmission repair shops and they have told me it needs to be rebuilt ($1400.00).

Well, I'm not an expert, however, if I go in the direction I have been led to, I would have the transmission rebuilt. However a new or rebuilt transmission will only be the third in this car.

I have only 133,000 miles on the car and its well maintained, oil changes / filters, etc..

Well today the transmission worked perfect, for about 3 miles, now it's stuck in 1st.

Well, although I'm not an expert, the more I think about the problem, it sounds like a computer problem and not a mechanical problem.

CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP???????????????????????????

Thanks; John

Reply to
matjet1

Has either the dealer or the shop given you any codes that were stored in the TCM? That would help pinpoint the problem and be a big step towards knowing the cause of the problem - and whether external to the tranny or internal. Strange that 3 trannies would go bad - it does make you wonder if it's not something external.

Reply to
Bill Putney