Does PS fluid really need to be changed?

I keep seeing this on newsgroups and dealers always keep trying to sell this. I have NEVER had the fluid changed in any car that I owned(only when the hoses went out,then the pump/fluid was changed). Is this a scam? I have a Dodge Caliber with 53K miles, and have never changed the fluid(car is a 2007).

Reply to
KOB

Just like brake fluid, P/S fluid can degrade over time with moisture entering the system through condensation. Your Caliber is new enough that the fluid is probably still in good shape.

I would think that trying to keep moisture out of the system would help the rack to last longer.

I had a flush done by a Tunex shop. I think they charged $59 to do it. I was going to try it myself, but did not have the line wrench to disconnect the hoses.

KM

Reply to
KirkM

constant heat is bad for it too

Just like brake fluid, P/S fluid can degrade over time with moisture entering the system through condensation. Your Caliber is new enough that the fluid is probably still in good shape.

I would think that trying to keep moisture out of the system would help the rack to last longer.

I had a flush done by a Tunex shop. I think they charged $59 to do it. I was going to try it myself, but did not have the line wrench to disconnect the hoses.

KM

Reply to
Rob

Thanks Rob and KirkM. Might have this done then, if I can get the Mobile Oil Change to do it reasonably. At what mileage/year would you do it?

Reply to
KOB

It's not particularly necessary. I've had many cars running over 100K that never had the fluid changed. Certainly changing it won't hurt but if you wind up paying $50 every 25K miles you may wind up paying more for fluid changes they you would ever pay for repairs in the long run. What I do is buy a $2 turkey baster and suck out as much fluid as I can from the reservoir and then put new in. Do that every year or two and you should be fine and it will cost a lot less then paying to have it done.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton, That sounds like a good idea! Just don't use it for the Thanksgiving bird after!

Reply to
KOB