?? Does the "Tornado fuel saver" really work ???

I have this thing on my car, but don't really know if it really works. I've read here somewhere on the internet that it restricts air flow and loose power but since Im getting about 21.5 MPG in a 94 New Yorker, I dont know if I should remove it and see if I get more power and milage or if it is really working and leave it there...What do you guys think ?? Thanks.

Reply to
Jp

Yes it does work, why would they lie about it.

.
Reply to
Bob Sacamano

The ads show that the air goes in by gravity - that is, they completely forget to mention that in a normal engine, the air is pulled into the engine, so how it gets there is moot - it will pull as much as it needs.

The only way to deal with this is to either make it more dense (turbocharger/intercooler) or to move lots more of it(supercharger).

A piece of spinning aluminum isn't going to do anything unless your engine is completely worn out and not developing pressure - in which case, you have bigger problems.

OTOH, replacing your computer chip does make a difference as most OEM ones are set to run as lean as possible for emissions.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Air is most certainly *not* "pulled" into an engine.

Are you suggesting that there is a difference between the two?

That "not developing pressure" part, is that what "pulls" air into the engine?

Might be a true statement -if- discussing a vehicle from the early-mid 70s, certainly not true for a 94 Chrysler New Yorker, but then very few vehicles from the early-mid 70s actually *had* any sort of computer chip, so it's anyones guess what you're attempting to describe here.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Surely at standstill, as the pistons do the downstroke, air is 'pulled' (sucked, if you prefer) in behind them..

The ad shows the bottle and water trick.. one has to wonder whether air really shows the same physical properties, allowing for the fact that auto intakes have joins and bends in them that are guaranteed to create eddy's..

I would sooner spend the money on wind deflectors for side windows.. being a smoker, it is useful to have windows down slightly while minimizing the amount of rain that can enter.. prolly does little for the drag coefficient, and increases the A pillar blind spot coverage..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Can't you compare the results to the 94 Lumina you posted the exact same question on in alt.trucks.chevy?

Reply to
David L. Price

Actually, no, and anyone who believes it so needs to go back and review their automotive theory basics.

I wasn't debating the merits of the whirly-gig snake oil device. Steve Lacker gave a full scientific on why these things and those like it are absolute horse manure.

Okay...

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Was the tip off the fact that he cites 21.5 mpg for both vehicles?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

or their physics: it is the side that Creates the pressure difference that actually does the "work". So while it is the higher pressure outside that pushes the air, it is the lower pressure in the intake cycle piston that expends the energy (does work). - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

That's like saying that 'it's my empty kitchen sink that causes water to come out of the faucet.'

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ixnay, the sink supplies no energy, in fact it absorbs some from the falling water.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

">

Please elaborate, oh great one.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

He's being a smartass. In short, he's saying that you can only pull (or suck) air from a closed system, such as a pressure vessel. With an engine intake open to atmosphere, it can't "suck" or "pull" air because at the same time that one end of the engine is taking air in, the other end is expelling it, so in actually all an engine is is a sort of air pump.

What this ignores of course is that the word "suction" is extremely loosly used and as such in a non-technical discussion it's pretty much equally valid. For example if you look at air conditioning systems, the refrigerant lines are labeled "pressure" and "suction" oftentimes, even though an A/C refrigerant system is basically a refrigerant pump same as an engine.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

That is the same mileage I got on my 94 LHS without any stupid contracptions.

works. I've

Reply to
Art Begun

Your opinion, wrong as it may be.

I've said no such thing at all.

Sure is.

Who decided this was a non-technical discussion?

A refrigerant system is a closed system, an internal combustion engine sich as used on a modern automobile, is not.

Sad that so many here do not know what a pressure differential is.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I guess many here are just not as smart as you, oh wise one.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Why don't you explain it for us all?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I have, many times on usenet.

If you don't know how to 'google', ask Ted for some instructions.

Hell, you might even stumble across some totally irrelevant text that you may find handy at some point.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ok, so you can't explain it. I understand.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Did a Google search. Didn't find much. A post in a rec.autos.tech in

1998 and one in rec.crafts.metalworking, neither of which gave anything close to a definition. Maybe I could review the next 20 pages of Google and find something, but most likely not. What I saw in these two posts hardly qualifies as a definition.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting