DRB2 Scan Tool Options

Looking for options for a DBR2 scan tool. I know these units were made my OTC. Can you get a generic OTC unit and upgrade/add-on to made it DBR2 compliant? I need to be able to "talk" to the ABS computers on Dodge RAM pickups.

Thanks

Reply to
tmills65

I'm not sure what DBR2 (perhaps you meant OBD2?) is but I'm in the same boat. A generic scanner can get emissions and some other codes, but it won't be able to get codes from the ABS module. (It might be able to if the vehicle uses the new CAN protocol, which only applies to select vehicles from 2003+ model year, but I really don't know much about that).

I'd like to know why my ABS light is one before I hand over my car to the mechanic, but so far I haven't been able to find a solution to do this.. The only scan tools that I'm aware of that can retrieve ABS information (as well as do specific tasks such as the ABS brake bleed) is the Chrysler DRB III and Snap On's Scanner with the ABS Fast-Track cartridge installed. Both of these are professional tools and very expensive.

Even ABS *codes* aren't listed in my factory service manual, apparently you have to find a Diagnostics manual to get that information.

If anyone is aware of a handheld or laptop based consumer scan tool that can get Chrysler ABS information, I'd be very interested in it.

Greg '99 LH

Reply to
Greg Houston

The latest scan tool from snap-on is the MODIS (very expensive). Will the MT2500 work for this task as well as getting other codes from the truck's diag computer? I think I have seen an ABS Fast-Track cartridge for the MT2500.

Tim

Reply to
tmills65

The Modis is a scan tool w/graphing, power graphing meter and 4 channel lab scope bundled into one unit. It -doesn't- have any better scan tool capability than the original red brick.

About $8000.00. Also heavier, harder to navigate and much more fragile.

The MT2500 will work if you have the new programmable VCI cartridge and programmable TCI cartridge. VCI and TCI are black in color. IIRC, full ABS capability was just added to VCI/TCI just a few updates ago, possibly version 5.4

If you go e-baying for them, be very careful, because the VCI and TCI are normally programmed on the Snap-On dealers truck. (IOWs, you may be bidding on blank cartridges) AFAIK, the only VCI/TCI cartridges that come pre-programmed are the ones sold by the industrial reps.

Reply to
aarcuda69062