Dumb Grease Question

I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan. I went to grease the front grease fittings on the suspension and steering components (zirc fittings), and my trusty grease gun of 20 something years wouldn't work! The symptom is, the grease gun fitting is slightly too large, and the grease just oozes out and doesn't go in. I tried using all my strength to hold the grease gun fitting onto the zirc fitting, but it still oozed out because the zirc nipples are a bit smaller than normal. This is true for the left and right sides. This same grease gun works fine on my 2 GM cars. I looked in the store, thinking that maybe they've come out with new grease fittings since 20 years ago, but all I see are one size, and the same size as what I have. Am I missing something here?

Reply to
newsmail

Yea, your probably missing the grease fittings, some years and I believe that is one of them does NOT have grease fittings, look carefully and make sure you have them.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hi...

Yikes, another flashback for a real old guy :)

When they first started that, I could only find a coupla places to grease. Had a heck of a time getting grease in the brake bleeder valves :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

You have to crack the bleeders first!!! LOL

Reply to
maxpower

In the good old days I owned a 1956 190SL. It sported over 20 grease fittings. Several would fill with water and splash all over the service guy's face when he tried to fill the fittings. On MB's top of the line vehicle they had a grease tank and lines running to the fittings. The driver merely had to push down on a pedal to force grease into the fittings. Talk about overkill.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Central greasing from a reservoir and floor pedal was not uncommon in luxury cars. Quite a few American and British cars of the 20's and

30's had that.

I used to have a 1971 Avanti II that used what was basically the Studebaker Lark convertible chassis. The front end alone had over 19 grease fittings. The rear axle bearings, spring shackles, etc added a few more. The quicklube type places hated the car... :-)

Doug

Reply to
Doug

You had grease fittings for the rear axle bearings? I bet that someone had tore the rear end out and replaced it with an old Studebaker one, they dropped those in 57-58ish. Unless N&A reintroduced them...

you do go through a lot of grease with one of those cars. The kingpins alone take an incredible amount of grease, but unless you get the thrust bearings greased up well, it'll be hard to steer and "sticky."

nate

(worked on too many Studes)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

All

My 31 Buick was that way. Never did get all the lines cleaned out.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ