dvd nav

Does anyone know if the sat nav system in a 2005 300 can be hacked to play video DVDs?

Reply to
dr who

I am 2 steps ahead of you....

Reply to
maxpower

Sure hope not. In-dash video entertainment is a spectacularly bad idea.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Well yea, it would be a bad idea if you were to watch it driving down the road, I have a small TV in my truck... I don't watch it while im driving and wouldn't watch a DVD either

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
maxpower

And after you send them your nav unit and they open it up and solder something new inside the warranty is voided, and when you get it back if they made a mistake and your car catches fire and burns to an ashy spot on the street will they replace your vehicle?, because Chrysler won't.

Reply to
TNKEV

Does that mean you know? If yes, how? I too would be interested.

----------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Your right they do have to install device in it, with the jacks, I was told that i had to use the dealer to send it in, I could not do it myself. the cost to the dealer was 700.00, I could buy a good DVD player for that.

Reply to
maxpower

It's scary though because there are people out there doing exactly that. Used to just be people reading the newspaper or shaving behind the wheel. Now we have to worry about being stopped in traffic and the guy behind us is watching some damned movie. :(

Reply to
Greg Houston

Y'know that idiotic TV show "Pimp My Ride"? The blizzing-blizzing yo-yo muthatrucka-yo-yo-strizzeet-yo retards who run that shop recently got fined thousands of dollars by the Federal DOT (NHTSA) 'cause they removed the driver airbags from cars and replaced them with TV screens hooked up to DVD players.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
erik_nash

Reply to
mic canic

Yes it can be done

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

All you had to do was go back a few replies.

if you have the 700.00

Reply to
maxpower

maxpower wrote in rec.autos.makers.chrysler:

But note the End-User License Agreement:

particularly: "I. GRANT OF LICENSE. This Agreement grants you the following rights:

A. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this Agreement, you may only use, access, run, or otherwise interact with one copy of the System per automobile. **The System must be used in accordance with your applicable State and/or Federal laws. Most State laws require that a monitor in a vehicle not be visible to the driver while he/she operates and/or drives the vehicle. Licensee must check his/her applicable State laws. By purchasing, installing, accessing or otherwise using the System, you agree to strictly comply with the applicable laws of your State with respect to in vehicle monitors.**"

Emphasis mine.

Reply to
Glenn Shaw

. Most State laws require that a monitor in a

The nav radio in itself is a montior, and it is visible to the driver as he/she drives

Licensee must check his/her applicable State laws. By

Reply to
maxpower

maxpower wrote in rec.autos.makers.chrysler:

Most laws restricting video monitors in a vehicle specifically refer to monitor installations that are typically designed to show DVD movies. As an example, Section 27602 of California's Vehicle Code says that one cannot install a video monitor capable of displaying a television or video signal where the driver can see it unless the monitor is:

(1) A vehicle information display. (2) A global positioning display. (3) A mapping display. (4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle. (5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal, if that equipment has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display as described in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.

(Source:

IOW, a nav monitor is exempt from the Section 27602, while a video monitor that shows DVD movies is not, unless DVD playback is locked out while the vehicle is in motion.

Presumably, modding a nav display or a display in a DVD-capable head unit to display TVs or DVDs, especially if the display can do so while the vehicle is in motion, could be considered a violation of this statute.

Note that California laws are typcially used as the basis for similar laws in other states. IANAL.

Reply to
Glenn Shaw