Eagle Vision losing its cool.

I have a 96 Eagle Vision TSI with about 82000 miles that seems to look it coolant every 3 or so months.

For example, 2 days ago, as I exited the Vision, I heard a (for lack of a better term) "pissing" sound. That is when I discovered coolant exiting (at high speed) the overflow tube.

I let the car cool down overnight before I open the radiator cap. That is when I discovered the overflow tank empty.

I refilled the tank, as I have done before, and resume driving.

What I want to know is what in the heck is really wrong with my car?

I had it into service, and after $300 and two day, all that PepBoys can tell me that its not the thermostat nor the water pump. However, they suspect a crack in the engine.

But, I thought that if coolant get into the engine, I would get white smoke out the tail pipe.

I don't get any smoke out of the tail pipe, nor any other warning (except for a slow rise in the temperature gage just before the coolant drains) that anything is wrong.

So, can PepBoys be correct about a crack engine? Is there a (very!) cheep method of pinpointing the problem? Or should I start saving my pennies for another car?

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

You need to have the system pressure tested. Is it leaking from anywhere other than the overflow tank and if so, under what conditions?

If no other leaks observed, then some possible causes:

Radiator Cap Radiator blockage Stuck thermostat bad water pump defective coolant temperature sender inoperable cooling fan (several root causes) blocked heater core

Others can add other thoughts, but a the age of the vehicle unless it was well maintained, I'd bet on the radiator flow being restricted. I am currently replacing my son's 1996 Eagle Vision 3.5L radiator since the tank had a small seam leak. We found a new one for $110 locally from a radiator shop and will put it in ourselves today. His cooling system worked like new, but had the radiator completely flushed and the antifreeze changed every two years. This time around I plan to use the G-05 Zerex since I've had good luck with it in my slightly newer 2.7L Intrepid.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

It could be something as simple as a radiator cap that doesn't quite hold as much pressure as it should. I would try that (at least) before assuming that there's an internal engine gas leak (neither Vision engine is prone to blowing head gaskets, cracking heads, etc.)

Reply to
Steve

Thank you for the heads up on my coolent problem

But now another problem has come up.

My head gasket (front/driver side corner) is leaking.

So, I have 2 questions.

1: Is the coolent problem and the leaking head gasket an effect (or cause) of one on the other?

2: How much (generally) does a head gasket replacement cost on a LH 3.5L engine?

Reply to
Zentraleinheit