End of an era

I was sitting in traffic today in front of my very small, family owned local Chrysler Jeep dealer today watching workers remove any and all PentaStar logos from the building and signage. In their place went the new 'blue ribbon' like Chrysler logo with the chrome 'wing'. I guess it is a sign that Daimler is here to stay, and Ma MOPAR is a thing of the past.

Lee Iacocca mentions the pentastar in his autobiography as the most recoganized logo in the auto industry. Seems drastic to get rid of such a well known symbol, doesn't it? I wonder what Lee would have said if he had been there watching what I saw today?

RIP Plymouth RIP PentaStar

Guess I am a GM kind of guy from here on out.............

Have a nice day,

Bill

88 Lancer Shelby 91 LeBaron Convertible 01 Chevy Impala LS
Reply to
Billccm

Hmm I bet you see the local Pagans digging through the dumpsters in the back for the next couple weeks hoping to get a hold of some of those! ;-)

Consider that it was Iakooka who in 1982 ended use of all other types of Chrysler logos than the Pentastar on all Chrysler divisions, it is no wonder that he said this.

The new logo has actually been in use since 1995 it appeared on much marketing materials for years before they started putting it on the cars. And as it's based on a far older logo of Chrysler's it's difficult to get worked up over Chrysler leaving it's "roots"

No doubt 10-20 years from now the Pentastar will make a comeback at Chrysler as by then it will be "retro" and in fashion.

No, not at all. It is only RIP when DC ceases paying the fees to the USPTO to retain ownership of the Pentastar. And I will bet that no matter what the flappers at DC and the posers will say publically, somehow your never going to see DC give up ownership of the Pentastar trademark.

Yeah, much better logo! ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I can understand somebody switching from one make to another because of bad experiences, but doing that because of a logo change?.. also, you seem to be somewhat of a GM kinda person already.. the Impala LS gave it away..

Reply to
Mike

And they will still use it in business somewhere too. I believe Chevron still has at least one "Standard" service station in each state to hold the trademark where they (Chevron...formerly Standard Oil of Ca) could use the name. For example, the New Mexico Chevron "Standard" station is in Albuquerque. Other baby Standards may do the same.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
mic canic

Globally the most-recognised auto logo is the three-pointed star, one of the most-recognised logos, period. At one stage only Coca-Cola and maybe one other was better known. I haven't seen a recent analysis but I suspect the MB star is still in the Top 5.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I certainly miss the Pentastar as well, it was the universal symbol of Ma Mopar throughout my formative years (60s and 70s).

But just as a trivial note- the current "ribbon" emblem PRE-DATES the Pentastar by a long way. The Pentastar wasn't used until circa 1962, the ribbon was in use in the 40s if not the 30s. Same thing for the Dodge "Ram". My favorite Dodge emblem has always been the 60's 3-pointed thing officially called the 'Fratzog' believe it or not- there's a poor rendition of one here:

But the Ram head goes back at least to the 50s if not pre-WWII

Billccm wrote:

Reply to
Steve

The Dodge Fratzog:

That's the only "3-pointed star" worth remembering :-p

Reply to
Steve

And let us not forget the old Plymouth "Rocket" emblem that used to be used as a hood ornament.

Bruce Yelen

Its actually a stylized/abstract sailing ship, but it does look a bit like a rocket. I've got that emblem in the steering wheel center on my daily driver (73 Satellite).

Reply to
Steve

Well, I'm blowed..... :-)

Seems to me that it might be fun to speculate on the origin of that name...

"Fratz" might have come from "Fratze", German for 'pulled' face (usually derogatory and ugly)...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

The story I read was that the designer came up with it, the appropriate people liked it, it was decided to use it and THEN.... somebody said "We need to trademark it, and it has to have a name. What's it called?" The designer hadn't named it, but just made up the word "fratzog" to fill a blank on a form.

Reply to
Steve

That "Fratzog" link makes me want to fire up the old NES emus and send Link looking for the Tri-force again, hehehe...

NthDegree

NthDegree