Engine Code advice please

My 2.7 '98 Intrepid shows a P0404 code. Explanation is ' The EGR position sensor makes no sense'

Anyone any advice in which way to proceed, or should I just ignore it? Cheers Keith

Reply to
Keith Phillips

P0404 = EGR Position Sensor Performance It means the engine control has moved the EGR valve a certain amount and is expecting a confirming feedback as to the new position, BUT IS NOT receiving it. This can be a bad sensor, carbon buildup on the EGR valve itself, or simply a loose/corroded connection. Without a fix, fuel mileage will suffer (for openers).

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Reply to
Keith Phillips

You do not say how many miles are on the vehicle, but it is common for the EGR to fail between 75-100K on most cars. It also can trigger a code and then "self-correct", but rest assured it will most likely come back again.

It is usually not too difficult to replace for a DIYer. I've done them on the 3.5L and 3.8L, but not on the 2.7L (yet). My 2001 2.7L has just over

63K miles so I expect it will be in my not too distant future.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman