engine flush

i have a 94 plymouth voyager 3.0L and i'm wondering if i pour in a can of engine flush before an oil change will that harm my engine. Is think a good ideal to do cause i never did an engine flush before on my car. Hope someone can help.

Reply to
mike113

Very likely, yes. Your engine is not a toilet, you do not need to flush it.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

If you change oil regularly and are not having any problems with your vehicle, DON'T use it.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Reply to
jdoe

On the other hand, if you have been changing the oil regularly, and have not been having problems, it will do no harm - and it MAY prevent problems in the futue.

And if you have NOT been changing the oil regularly, you NEED the engine cleaned to prevent future problems, but cleaning it MAY cause those problems to occur much sooner, rather than later.

I change my oil regularly. I use good oil - not the cheapest crap I can buy, and I occaisionally run a flush. Early 2.6 Mitsus NEED to be flushed regularly to keep the tensioners for the long timing chains working effectively, and to prevent reduction of lubricant flow to the balance shafts. Helps prevent the old Mitsu 2.6 bugaboo of sticking oil control rings too. Many current engines (including some Toyotas, and the 2.7 Chrysler) will last a LOT longer if they are flushed on a regular schedule - like every 3rd or 4th oil change, with changes at 3 month or 3000 mile intervals.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I prefer a gentler (slower, more controlled) cleanout over time. This can be accomplished by adding 1/4 qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil? or Sea Foam? with each oil change (leave it in). Probably the first couple of times you do it, change the oil and filter after 1000 miles, then go back to regular 3000 mile intervals (I change my filter with each oil change with a good filter like Purolator Pure One?).

This is a preventative as well as a remedial measure with me since i own a 2.7L that I bought at 58k miles. So far so good at 113k.

Especially if the amount of residue inside the engine is an unknown, I would avoid the sudden (kerosene/diesel fuel/Rislone) type flushes. Too much junk being release suddenly into the lube system can cause serious and expensive problems. For an unknown condition or a known sludged condition, I would do nothing before I did the sudden type flush.

IMO...

Bill Putney