Engine Hose ID - 2000 Concorde Lxi

Facing my 3.2L engine, just in front of the fuse box (which is in front of the plastic coolant bottle) is a part with hoses connecting to the back of the engine. One of the hoses has a pin hole cut and is dropping coolant alongside the engine which hits what looks like an exhaust component causing the engine to give off a small amount of steam when the car is stopped at a light.

I think the hose was disturbed during a recent repair because I vaguely remember wondering a number of years ago why I was finding a very small amount of coolant under the car in the garage. It stopped on its own and I never gave it another thought. Now, the amount escaping isn't enough to form a spot on the garage floor but it has shown itself via the steam. The amount of coolant I've added to that bottle amounts to a shot glass or two.

I'm sure if I fuss with the hose I'm going to make that hole bigger and be forced to take more drastic action. the thought occurred to me that once I find the hole, I could probably just cut the hose, insert a metal connector that slips into the inside of both parts, and I should be as good as new. Unless... that hose is metal reinforced and must be replaced full-length. I would imagine the difference in cost is a few dimes to a few saw bucks if it 's got to be a dealer item.

Can anyone give me some insight please?

Reply to
jaygreg

I would think if the hose is small compared to the radiator hoses it probably a heater hose or by pass

Reply to
Licker

I'm a little confused by your description of location. If the fuse box is in front of the coolant bottle, then you are moving in the direction of the front bumper. The only thing with hoses forward of the fuse box (PDC) is the cruise control servo (black cylindrical thing with cable going to throttle body) - there is a vacuum hose going to that, but no coolant hoses.

But maybe this will help: If you are talking about a heater hose size hose (about as big around as your thumb), 3/4" heater hose is the right size. I would suggest getting silicone heater hose - it will last longer than the car will, whereas standard auto parts store heater hose quality is the pits - guaranteed to fail after 3 years. The silicone hoses is expensive - about $8-$11 a foot. Can get it at shops that service police cars and 18 wheelers (or speed shops, some NAPA stores carry it).

If the hose you are talking about is as big around as your little finger and connects into a metal cylindrical thing (a heat exchanger) in line with the PCV hose, I think it's 3/8" (or 10 mm). Power steering hose works well for that and lasts forever.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Hi Bill.Thanks for tackling this. I think I've found a picture in the manual but it's still not identified. It's in front of the PDC (Power Distribution Center... that I called a fuse box). The manual is the "2000 Service Manual - LHS, 300M, Concorde and Intrepid", page 8D-6, Figure 13.

The hose I have reference to is the one coming out the center of that component (directly under the ID circle marked "2") and flowing off to the left and toward the back of the engine. Right about midway in the turn of that hose (near the lower left corner of the PDC in Fig. 13), had a pinhole spray of fluid shoot out at one point that trickled to a stop over the next few days. I assumed the fluid was coolant but... I didn't give it a taste test. :-)

Reply to
jaygreg