Engine Oil Light Flashing on Low RPM's

I have 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. When RPM's gets below 600-700 sometimes oil light starts flashing and when I increase RPM it goes away. The oil level is perfect even less a little bit. What might cause this to happen? Oil pump, connection, engine oil pressure switch, something else? I need to know where to start looking for a problem.

Reply to
-=Almazick=-

The RPMs you cite 600-700 seems low to me for normal idle. I don't have service manual for this vehicle, but suspect that about 750 would be more "normal." That said, if the idle RPM is correct, then I would check the oil sender. Since it is flashing and goes off under run time RPM, I'm guessing that the connections are good. So either the oil sender itself needs to be replaced or you have a problem in the engine that is causing the low oil pressure. If you have a pressure gauge, then unscrew the sender and screw in the gauge to get an accurate pressure reading so you can see what is happening. If you don't have the equipment, then you could try to replace the sender to see if this solves the problem.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The first question I would ask is how long ago was the oil changed and did they put in the correct viscosity for your Caravan. Oil with too low of a viscosity can cause the problem you describe. Before I did anything else I would change the oil and filter and make sure it was correct for my vehicle.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

check your oil preashure switch, sounds like a 99% fix by what u said

Reply to
CHRIS WALLACE