Engine overheat and cool air -thermostat?

Yesterday coming home from work in -10 C, a 26 km drive,

I was getting just cold air through the heater. I was watching the temp

guage all the way home and as I got near my home about 20 minutes in, the temp guage on my pickup was at the red line.

Once parked in driveway, I noticed the rad pushingbubbling fluid into the overflow and could smell hot antifreeze.

I have noticed the past few weeks that the temp guage has been rising but then would suddenly start to go down esp. if I turned on the heater and it seemed unusual at the time so I have been watching it. --yesterday was the first time, it did not go down. I went for a little drive later that evening and this time, the temp rose even faster -7 minute drive to move temp guage close to red and still no heat from heater.

I assumed/read that you would have one or the other, that is, engine overheats so thermostat is stuck in closed position No heat in car so thermostat is stuck in open position.

I seem to have both scenerio's going on.

Any thoughts -is it even the thermostat? if so, I know the thermostat is relatively inexpensive? should I buy

3rd party or from dealer and finally, how long/shop time to replace one (I am assuming one hour or so) and is it worth trying to do it myself?

Many thanks in advance

Reply to
gpagmail-news

Cross-posted to Chrysler and Subaru groups? That must be some mongrel vehicle you got.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

The symptoms that you describe are exactly what I experienced when the headgasket on my Dodge Spirit 2.5L went. Exhaust gases entering the cooling system would push the coolant in the recovery tank. Once the coolant was low, the heater would not work.

I would suggest having the cooling system checked. I may be just the thermostat, which would be inexpensive.

Which engine do you have in your vehicle?

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Once the car cools down check the coolant level in the radiator. I think you will find it to be low.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Yes, it seems to be pointing to low fluid, I just hope it is not head gasket, i will check out a few things tonight to try to narrow it down. To answer your question, it is a 88 toyota vehicle but I think it is a generic enough question and appreciate the feedback. Not sure if there is any rule against posting in this auto as Phil seems to want to suggest.

Reply to
gpagmail-news

Well, most people are willing to offer advice, but there actually ARE rules about staying on topic (Chryslers). Not that anyone follows them...

But why here and not rec.autos.makers.toyota? Or alt.autos.toyota.trucks? Or any of the rough dozen that show up with "toyota" in the names?

Reply to
Steve