Erratic Exterior Tempature Readings

Hoping someone can offer some suggestions. My 98 T&C Lxi is plagued with very erratic exterior temperature readings. Variations are more frequent and more extreme the faster you travel. At 7o mph, it is not unusually for the temp to vary as much as 30 degrees. At 30 mph, pretty much a steady accurate reading. It would appear to be a loose connection near the external temperature sensor. Can anyone tell me where it is located? Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Kevin

mic canic

No, first noticed it after I had my clockspring replaced about 9 months ago. I thought the timing was coincidental. Symptoms have remained unchanged since first appearing.

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Robert Korn

I don't know the details of the original post, but I have also experienced erratic outside temp display on my 300M. This happens only when driving during heavy snow fall and / or during highway driving when snow and slush is being kicked up under the car (ie when the roads are moderately covered with snow / slush). Because it only happens during these conditions, I theorize that where-ever the temp sensor is located, it must be located in some sort of cavity that can become blocked with snow / ice and then gets warmed from some heat source (rad? engine?).

Temp can swing from 25f to 55f in 10 minutes (temperature always drifts higher during these episodes).

Funny thing is that when this happens, sometimes the interior air starts blowing cold even when temp control is set to max (80f ?).

Reply to
MoPar Man