fan for heater, a/c, etc.

The wife has a 2004 Sebring Sedan, Limited, has approx., 61,000 mile on the speedo. Last weekend when using the a/c, after cooling down the inside, I turned down the fan to #1 speed. I found that this was loke turning down the knob to 0, thus shutting down the system. I had to run the fan speed on #2 , 3, or 4 to get the system to run. Speeds 2, 3, and 4 worked normally at their correct speeds. Could there be a resistor blown ??? Or has the fan switch become faulty ??? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rog

Reply to
rdtaxted

mr158912

Often the resistor pak going out is an indication of the blower motor starting to pull too much current due to age/wear. If you replace the resistor pak, and it blows again in a matter of weeks or a few months, next time, replace the blower motor *and* the replacement resistor pak so the third resistor pak doesn't burn up too.

mr158912 wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

Or better yet just run it on #2 until you burn that setting up, then #3 until you burn that setting up, then #4 until the inline fuse to the blower motor blows, then replace the blower motor and resistor pak.

Does my car electrical system really care that the blower motor is now drawing 12 amps instead of 8? Oh golly, that's 0.000001 mpg loss, I better drop $80 into a new blower motor!!! ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Ted et al.

Or better yet just remove the blower motor, disassemble, relube and clean, assemble and onward!

I had my 72 Dodge PU for so long and so many miles I did the blower motor twice.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Usually assemblies like that are not made too easily "disassembleable" these days. But the bearings could be lubed (just don't use anything with silicone in it - silicone is death to brushes if it should get into them) which will help if the bearings getting tight are the problem - won't help if the problem is brush contamination.

Bill Putney