Found in barn, complete

Out in the heat in the Fifth Avenue today, I ran by a place out in the desert that had looked derelict for years, but was now being cleaned up. The "barn" (loose application of term) doors were open, and there in the middle of a ton of crap, was a 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer sedan. I had to pull in to check.

As it turned out, the old fellow that lived there had just died and his relations were taking care of the estate. Evidently, he had lived there in semi-hermitage for at least 25 years, only leaving the house to get food and necessities. He had been an alfalfa farmer prior and quit farming when prices on electricity and diesel rose to a point of unprofitability.

His great grandson (!!) didn't know much about the car other than it was bought by him new from H.W Hunter Dodge/De Soto/Plymouth in 1955 locally. It has the original tri-tone paint scheme (white/black/pink??) and extra brightwork for the Royal Lancer. Under the hood is the original 270 with the 4 bbl. carb and Powerflite. The old fellow had put this up on cinder blocks, drained everything and removed the battery, and it is in excellent (though extremely dirty and "mousy") condition. They haven't had any inquiries on this car yet, although they were going to approach H.W. Hunter, seeing if they wanted to buy it back (!!!).

Question: I have seen ZERO '55-'56 Chrysler products, except for Imperials, around in the "special interest" catagories in shows or auctions. Does anyone know if they do have a following? I haven't seen ANY '55 Dodge ANYTHING (let alone a Royal Lancer!) in at least 15 years, most being victim to early body rot. This, being a desert car, is rust-free. I hedged my bet, I put a $500 deposit on it to hold it for 2 days. A worthwhile restoration project?

Reply to
DeserTBoB

att: CHRYSLER GROUP

2 years ago this "desertbob" character came into our alt.collecting.8track group, professing he was some kind of wiz electronics repairman and analog tape expert. He has effectively destroyed that group at this point. He obviously has become bored, and moved on to your group.

What you see here, is EXACTLY how he came into our group, 2 years ago. If you are wise, you will IGNORE HIS POSTS. If you want to see what he can and will turn your group into, just take a look at what's left of our collecting group, after he got done with it:

To see just what this person is capable of, check his recent posts here:

more specifically, this is what you are in for shortly down the road:

"A Saviour was born to us, 2005 years ago."

Fuck xmas. It's just an arbitrary date the early church nutters came up with to replace the winter solstice celebrations that people came up with to prevent routine winter depression. They can't even agree when xmas really was...Dec. 21? Dec. 25? Jan. 6? Ask enough churches, they'll give you several answers, none of which are backed up by evidence or any unimpeachable record. The reason the nutters backed away from Dec. 21 was that this was the solstice, and that was "SCIENCE"...ooooh, bad! In the US, xmas became a commercially driven holiday originally hyped by Macy's, Best's, Bloomingdale's and Gimbel's in New York City to boost sales, since Jews weren't big on gift buying (can't make a big profit on selling draedels, can you?), and the christians would turn their wallets inside out.

Me? I'm going to enjoy our salubrious weather outside and prune some shrubbery and get ready for spring, which might be early this year. As for Associated Stores, Target, Wally-Fart and the other money grubbers, here's my "holiday greeting": Start the after xmas sales already!

...and here's my "holiday greeting" to Charlie Nudo, aka 66fourdoor: You many THINK you're above the law of the land and the laws of moral, responsible behavior, but you'll get yours...hopefully this year. And then, you'll pay and pay and pay and pay. May your misery be compounded and your schizophrenia land you in a Pennsylvania state mental facility!

AND ALSO CHECK THIS POST BY "DESERTBOB"

From: DeserTBoB - view profile Date: Thurs, Aug 24 2006 3:47 pm Email: DeserTBoB Groups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Charlie Nudo (its real name) is a troll. It regularly frequents at least twenty news groups, including many rabid/gay/gun nut/racist groups. Normally, it starts off with reasonable, even witty lines, but rapidly drifts into lies, abuse and stupidity. Check its details at Google Groups at this URL

It is a sad creature, deserving of pity, not anger. Any direct response simply feeds it, but it will go away if you ignore it.

...one can only hope...and soon.

Reply to
duty-honor-country

This is "projection" from a mentally ill troll. An in-depth view of Mr.Nudo's complete positing history (including the 200-300 posts he deleted) show a different tale.

I refuse to respond to this now-dying troll. Please take a moment and forward this post, along with complete headers, to:

snipped-for-privacy@google.com

Use the terms "trollshifting" and "'nymshifting" in your complaints, as that is what he is doing. ALL 20 or MORE of his previous Google Groups accounts have been shut down (banned), seven in the last 72 hours.

Tks for your patience and understanding.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Outright lie, you destroyed that group years ago due to stalking, harassment and calling people at home and at work who you had disputes with. Now you've had 7 accounts banned by Google in the last 72 hours and you're STILL pulling the same crap that got you banned.

This group was fine until you showed up stalking Bob. The proof is in the posting history here.

Don't forget to tell the folks here how you called my wife at work over something that happened on Usenet and the threats you made to me but backed off when I stood up to your sorry ass.

Reply to
bicycle

Keep us posted.

Reply to
bicycle

The grandkids cleaned out the "barn" and hosed off the car, and dug out all the rat traps and layers of dirt. I looked under the hood, and the 270 has a Carter WCFB on it, which I guess is stock and the old guy had removed all the plugs and fitted rubber stoppers in all the spark plug holes. Removal of those showed that he had be squirting oil into each one from time to time, a good practice for storage that most forget about. The braking system is either shot or dry, but the booster is intact. Once they cleaned off all the filth, it's not a complete basket case car at all, and I'm almost sure I could get that engine running as-is. Anyway I offered them $3000 on top of the $500 deposit...we'll see what they think.

I really have no clue as to rarity/value of this car, except that it is rust-free, all original and I haven't seen a '55 Dodge anywhere, in any show or auction, for at least 20 years.. Last time I saw anything like this was a '56 Royal coupe that had tons of Bondo and Fibreglas patches in it and that was like 15 years ago. The gaudy tri-tone paint job is classic Virgil Exner at work! I think Chrysler was alone in doing tri-tone paint in those years.

We shall see what develops.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

parts car- it would cost at least $25,000 and a few years to get it restored to driveable condition. Every fuel and brake line will be rotted out. Every brake wheel cylinder will need rebuild/replacement. It will need 4 new drums and all new brake shoes. 4 new tires and alignment. All the steering linkage will need replacement, ties rods, drag link, and idler arm. The gas tank most likely is rotted out and leaking. The engine and trans will need total rebuild, which will cost at least $5000. New exhaust system needed. New interior needed. New battery, alternator, starter, water pump, radiator, heater core. All new belts/hoses. Most of the gauges won't work.

The body must be pulled from the frame, and both sandblasted/dipped/painted. All new body mounts needed.

Each panel on the body will need to be either replaced, or diligently bodyworked. Forget trying to find replacement panels for that car.

Anything that old will need all the wiring harnesses replaced or repaired/checked. Most of the bulbs won't work. All the rugs and seats from the interior will need to be pulled.

A 270 V-8 was a dog. If you had the small Dodge Hemi it would be worth buying. Even if you parted it out, you'd have a hard time getting $3000 for the parts. That is basically a $500 parts car.

To restore that car, most places give a very high estimate, and you "pay as you go". If you miss a payment, you go to the back of the line. In the end, the cost or restoration is more than what that car is worth, totally restored. You could buy 3 of them in pristine shape, for the cost of restoring one.

The car is not rare. Here are the production figures:

1955 Dodge Royal Lancer Sedan 4-door- factory price $2285- shipping weight 3425 lbs.- production total 45,323 units

The only good thing about that car is this- if that is an original

4-barrel engine, it is the "Super Red Ram" 270 CID, but that was rated at a paltry 193 HP at 4400 rpm from the factory. And there's a very good chance someone took the intake/4-barrel from a SRR engine, and put it on that car. If that's the case, it may be the lesser 175 HP or 183 HP 2-barrel engine, with the 4-bbl induction system. Regardless, those 270's were dogs- their peak rpm at peak HP was a pathetic 4400 rpm.

But someone may want the SRR engine for a nicer 2-door resto that same year.

The guy knows what it is worth- you aren't getting a deal. You're getting a liability. If it's a 4-door, which I'm thinking it is- that car is a stone. Did you ever drive around in a 3400 lb. car with only

190 HP, and a slushbox trans ?

Flame war aside, I'm not above educating you on vintage car matters. Buy one that's already running and nicer. The world is full of people who buy cars like that, dump $15000 into them, and the car is still in primer and not running yet, 5 years later.

To put that in vogue, the V-6 3.4 liter engine in my ' 95 GM product makes 210 HP.

Reply to
duty-honor-country

For $500 you can buy a complete car like that on Ebay.

For $3000 each, I can find 30 of those cars here in Pa. in the junkyards.

They are quite common and total Lancer production for 1955, including

2dr, 4dr, and wagon, was over 75,000 units.
Reply to
duty-honor-country

Charlie Nudo of Drums, PA once again shows his ignorance and stupidity.

The 270 WAS a HEMI, you IDIOT! As for the rest of the post, just more "trolling" from Charlie Nudo...as expect.

This account should be down by noon, PDT.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

DeserTBoB wrote:

That shows what you know.

What that car has, is a POLY 270 engine- single rocker shaft canted valve wedge head. Go to this link, scroll down to the chart- the car you're looking at had a 270 POLY in it- same block as the Hemi, but cheap single-rocker shaft heads. Totally different top end. You can convert a poly to a Hemi, but why bother.

Dodge Hemispheric vs. Polyspheric Motor Comments Development and Description Less expensive, lighter variants of the Dodge hemi motors were developed, and introduced in 1955 for installation in the mid-priced Dodge cars. These new motors used the existing hemi block, but completely different heads, exhaust manifolds, pushrods, pistons, etc. with only a single rocker shaft in each head; the same intake manifolds were used in many cases (but not the dual 4 bbl.). These motors were called "poly" (for poly-spheric: meaning "more than one sphere"), since the combustion chamber was now formed by two separate concave domed shapes (the valve seats and surrounding reliefs). Poly motors are also called single rocker shaft ("SRS"), while hemi motors are dual rocker shaft ("DRS"). Conversion of Dodge Poly Motors to Hemi 1955-58 Dodge 241, 259, 270, 315 & 325 poly motors can be converted to hemi by substitution of hemi parts using Dodge parts only. If the original pistons are used, the motor will run, but have lower compression since the poly piston does not have a compression dome. The crankshaft balance will also be affected, since the hemi pistons are heavier in most cases due to the dome. Heads should be selected from motors of the same or smaller bore size to prevent the chamber from overhanging the bore, but some choices may be available as to port size, valve size and chamber volume. Manifolds must match the deck height (low or raised). Hemi head bolts must be used. DeSoto Poly Motors Although "wide-block"poly motors were used in lower-priced

1955-58 DeSoto models, they are Dodge engines based on the Dodge hemi motor. These and the 1955-56 Plymouths using these motors can be converted by using Dodge hemi parts as described above. There is no poly motor based on the DeSoto hemi series. Chrysler Poly Motors Chrysler 1955-58 Saratoga and Windsor 301, 331 & 354 poly motors are based on the Chrysler hemi motors, which are only distantly related to other brands. Poly "A" Motors There is no hemi motor based on the "A" series poly motor as used in Plymouths 1956-67 and some Dodges 1958-59, and no conversion by direct substitution is possible. The "A" poly motor is very similar in design to the earlier hemi-derived poly motors, but parts are not generally interchangable. Notes All 1951-57 Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouth V8 motors, regardless of family, size or type, have the distributor located in the rear of the engine. Only 1958-* "B" and "RB" type motors, both wedge and hemi, have front-mounted distributors. There is no commonality of parts or dimensions between the early (1951-58) motors and late (1964-*) hemi motors, which were developed by adapting hemi technology to the "RB" motors. The Table below contains "Maximum Compression Distance" data. This is not measured or taken from factory information, it is calculated on the basis of .000" deck height (with the piston's top surface flush with the cylinder bank head gasket surface) with the tallest possible theoretical piston (measured between the piston pin center and the top surface).
Reply to
duty-honor-country

Let's see a picture of the engine bay, and that will settle it- if it is a Hemi or not.

I seriously doubt it.

Reply to
duty-honor-country

Further verification- the last year for the 270 Hemi was 1954.

1955 was the first year for the POLY engine, a run of the mill slug motor making less than 200 HP.
Reply to
duty-honor-country

The car you're looking at most likely has one of these Poly 270's in it- nothing earthshaking.

FWIW, the Hemi Red Ram only made 140 HP-150 HP.

The Poly Red Ram 270 actually made more power than the 270 Hemi did.

The poly head Super Red Ram 270 made 193 HP, in 1955.

A very short time later, the small block Chevy 283 came out, making 283 HP from 283 CID- one HP per CID. 90 HP more than the Dodge Super Red Ram 270. That shows you just how inefficient the small block Dodge Hemi and poly engines really were at that time- which is why Dodge dropped them and went to the 273/318/340/360 small blocks, and 383/440 big blocks. The Chevy small block with a wedge head was better than the Dodge hemi.

Now, if it was a CHRYSLER early Hemi 392 from the 1950's, then you'd have something to pursue that was worthwhile. Those were rated at 390 HP in top form. And actually can make several thousand HP with superchargers/stroker cranks/nitro- and were a kick ass Top Fuel Dragster motor. Derivatives of that design are still being used today, in the form of the aftermarket aluminum DONOVAN Hemi block.

But good luck with it, whatever you do.

Reply to
duty-honor-country

Really, smartass? Then why does it have the incredibly FAT valve covers with the plugs IN THE MIDDLE?

Charlie Nudo talking though his ass once more. He is an incredible BS artist, and relies on quick views of websites for any "knowledge."

KILLFILE snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ...as if it matters. The account will be gone soon, and he'll try to start another one.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Even Charlie admits he came to this group to start a flame war. .

Reply to
bicycle

The car in your eBay link is not a complete car, and it's kind of trashed. I wonder how hard it is to get a windshield for it. It doesn't even have an engine or transmission.

The car in the barn is complete, according to the description. I bought a 51 Studebaker in Lubbock in 1989. I put some used tires on it and drove it all the way to McAllen, Texas, by way of Dallas. That's a long trip, and it worked great. The only things wrong with that car were that the paint had been cooked off of the roof as it sat in the sun for

20 years, and the coil spring-controlled butterfly valve in the exhaust manifold was stuck mostly shut. But the wiring, light bulbs, horn, overdrive, brakes and wipers worked great.

Judging from the description of the Dodge in question, I would expect it to need very little work to be roadworthy. In a dry climate the gas tank probably isn't rotten, but most of the rubber will probably be bad. You would want to look at things individually, but I would expect such a car to be in excellent condition, as my Studebaker from Lubbock was. Incidentally, the Studebaker was a 4 door, and it was a cool car. I'm sure the Dodge would be a load of fun, but I wouldn't pay $3500 for it. If I were in a buying mood I would be eager to buy a car stored in a garage in the desert. But you could probably get it for a lot less if you don't let yourself get carried away.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

That mess in Noodles' link is almost scrap...there's very little "restorable" about that one, and it surely isn't worth $500. There was another '55, a D-55, also on eBay, in rough but running shape in Florida, with a black paint job that looks as if it were applied with a roller. It's not worth $2000, either. As 66fourdoor, aka Charlie Nudo proves, eBay is a "ship of fools."

This car is just as the old gent left it, even with the 1970-era General belted ply tires, still reasonably good because it had been jacked up on cinder blocks and the tires covered with drop cloths, but checked more than I'd consider safe. The Chrysler interiors of those years were none too hardy and most of the nylon-based cloth is shot due to dry-out, but is all there. The door panels are all there and have no water damage. The weather stripping is dried out, but all there. The factory paint has the slightest amount of sun damage on the roof (black, what can one expect in the desert??) and the white and pink could be rubbed out to a nice gloss easily. The 270 HEMI...that's right, folks, it IS a HEMI...not a polyspherical...was well cared for, with frequent oil changes according to the dealer's pillar stickers, no obvious sludge accumulations that I could see, and the fellow was kind enough to remove the plugs and put oil into each cylinder on a routine basis. All the wiring appears intact with no rat damage. He had also drained the Powerflite as well. Where Noodles gets his information can be only one place...and he sits on it.

The gas tank had been drained when the car was stored and a peek inside shows only galvanic coating on the floor of it. So much for "Noodles Logic."

They are still considering my offer and contacting other family members. I wasn't looking at this as a full concours restoration project, but rather a safe, roadworthy resuscitation back to where it was when parked, with possible future sale to a MoPar fan who's into '55 products. The 270 HEMI....not a polyspheric...is rare, but some looking around the 'Net showed a number of Custom Royal Lancers so equipped. Best I can tell, Chrysler dropped the 270 hemi for Dodges in the middle of the '55 model year, but I cannot be sure of that, either.

The paper work in the musty manila folder was very complete, including the bill of sale from 1955 from H.W. Hunter Dodge/Chrysler/De Soto here in town. The car was bought in January, 1955, so it was possibly late '54 production. Hunter is still in business and still owned by the Hunter family. Their parts department has been more than willing to track down OEM M-body parts, as most of their countermen have been there for many years and know where all the "secret stuff" is.

Once again, Charlie Nudo, aka "Noodles," aka dutyhonorcountry2(and possibly more as each account gets axed)@hotmail.com is talking out of his sphincter, from whence he's been chatting on Usenet ever since he discovered WebTV back around 2001...a black banner day for Usenet.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Please submit complaints to:

snipped-for-privacy@google.com snipped-for-privacy@epix.net

...whenever snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com or any of his future pseudonyms starts his "trollshifting" or newsgroup disruption. We need this troll killed off before he becomes rooted in here or anywhere else. He has been a Usenet "megatroll" and eBay petty theif for at least four years. He ripped me off twice for small items, for which I have full documentation as well as that of others similarly ripped off. He's also a prolific liar.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Another case of Charlie Nudo talking out of his ass.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Too funny...pick up any repair manual and look what's listed for 1955

No Dodge Hemi- only a poly.

That's directly from the Dodge official archives.

Reply to
duty-honor-country