Front Brake pad replacement 2003 Town and Country TC

Front Brake pad replacement 2003 Town and Country TC

Done at 34k miles.

Dealer price $89 on special

My cost:

$38 pads $3.00 brake cleaner $3.00 antisqeal gel Time - 2+ hours

Since there is little on the subject I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I got some middle of the road Raybestos pads for around $38 for the set. Also got some brake pad antisqueal sauce and a 6 point 13/16" socket and new 1/2" ratchet from Sears. The 6 point socket is for removing the 2 bolts at the rear of the caliper without stripping them.

To hang the calipers use a sturdy wire or coat hanger and make sure it is very secure - these things are very heavy compared to smaller vehicles.

To get the caliper off of the rotor you will need to carefully wrangle a c-clamp into the hole on the caliper and bear down on the lip of the inner pad and the rear of the caliper. It is tough but you only need it to move a little bit.

Use a screw driver to carefully remove the old pads noting how they fit into the caliper.

Before cranking down the piston with a C-clamp put the rear pad into position. After in position use the c-clamp to compress the piston all the way down.

Next put the outside pad on. It will take some wrestling but you can do it.

Remount on the wheel assembly and you are done.

Don't forget the antisqueal sauce!

Reply to
Dantanna

[...]

Sam Steele

To save money Chrysler used cheap (but functional) pads that product tons of dust that turn the wheels black. A switch to ceramic pads eliminate that issue. Ceramic pads are standard on many makes of cars today, such as Honda and Toyota. In my opinion they are the way to go if you have mag style wheels.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Theoretically you are right. However, try to find the average brake shop that flushes fluid with a pad change. Right.....

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Reply to