Front disc brake noise

I have three Chrysler T&C vans 1997, 2001, 2002 with mileages of

225,000 63,000 and 85,000 miles on them respectively. We've owned the 97 and 02 since new and the 01 for three months and about 12,000 miles. All three are making a grinding feel with some noise when you come to a stop under normal braking conditions and none under hard braking. It feels exactly like metal to metal, but when I do an inspection all three have at least 50% of the pad remaining and smooth wear on the disc's. I suspected harmonic wear but I see no evidence of it, nor do I see any other reason for this condition. Each of the three vans have had the brakes serviced by different shops, so it's unlikely that they have pads from the same supplier. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks!
Reply to
glasscases

If you are using (and most after markets do) cheap pads with a high content of metal in them you will get such a noise especially on cold damp mornings.

If the pads that you have on them now do not have a beveled edge this will cause a high pitch squeal when coming to a slow stop.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yes. They're all running semi-metallic pads or ceramic pads.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Reply to
philthy