Front end noise - Intrepid 99

My 1999 Intrepid has a rather unusual problem (which currently has

72,000 miles on the odometer) that has been bothering me since I bought it a year ago. It was intermittent but now its more often than not. There seems to be an odd clacking noise in the front end, and I can't figure out what's been causing it. The clacking sound usually occurs (on the passenger's side I suppose) when I hit bumps or dips on the road regardless of speed but recently I started hearing it while driving in a straight street at 30 mph. It is the same clacking noise but a prolonged one. It looks like a loosen part hitting another. I've had two mechanics look at this problem since March, and neither of them could find anything wrong (the noise went away at the inspection times). Both of them said that the suspension components seem to be tight and in good order. I'm stumped as to what may be causing this noise. If I have my car jacked up what should I look at? Can I figure out what the problem is by simply touching the front end parts? I'd also like to know -- is this normal for the car's old age, or is it a sign of a major failure waiting to happen?
Reply to
canada.rodrigo

The noise is quite possibly due to worn sway bar bushing or struts. It's a common problem with Chrysler products. Don't worry - nothing like a wheel will fall off. The noise will gradually get worse, especially on colder days when parts contract and the spacing gets bigger.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Have the stabilizer links checked

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

I agree 50%. Check stabilizer links (sway bar end links) *and* sway bar bushings (not always obvious just by looking at them - they're so inexpensive, it's best to just replace them if they're in question). Either of those being worn out can cause pretty much the same symptom you are experiencing - and they both are a very common wear-out part on the LH cars.

Bill Putney

Thank you Doug, Glenn and Bill for your opinions. They're very important to me. However, before I check them out, I'd like to know how many hours of labour would take to fix each suggestion, because I'm pretty sure one of them will be the problem. I don't want to get caught on short notice when they give me the estimate with the fixing costs. I need to be ready for a quick answer/decision about accepting it.

Rod

Reply to
canada.rodrigo

I'd be really shocked if it wasn't the swaybar end links.

Reply to
Joe

I don't have access to rate books, but I'd say if they charge you more than 1 hr. for both sway bar bushings and/or 45 minutes for both end links, you're being gouged.

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs to do both links and bushings

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower