Front end shudder '96 T & C

My van shudders from about 40-55 when accelerating but not when decelerating. Once over about 65, there is no shudder either way. I had the axles replace a few months ago and it went away but I had them inspected recently and 2 places say the axles are not the problem. One place suggested having the wheels aligned. When I did, Pep Boys said one side was 1" lower on the driver's side than the other one and that I need springs and struts to solve the problem. I can see one of the struts leaking slightly but the Chrysler place said nothing about them, tells me that I need motor/transaxle mounts--$400. Does ANYONE have a CLUE what is the problem?

TIA John

Reply to
Fieronut

When was the last time your transmission fluid was changed? Has it been >60,000 miles? Or was it replaced with Dexron instead of ATF+3 or +4? What you're describing sounds like torque convertor lockup clutch shudder, which can be caused by either worn-out fluid or incorrect fluid type.

Reply to
Steve

I would second this suggestion. Oh and avoid Pep Boys like the plaque (IMHO)

Reply to
PC Medic

When I had the axles checked, I also had the trans fluid changed by a reputable trans place....they have done several of my trans over the years with no problems. However, I did NOT ask them which fluid they put in. But since I had the alignment and fluid change it does not SEEM to shudder as much as it did. However, if the fluid was the problem, why did changing the axles fix it previously? I'm no mechanic but with such diverse diagnoses of the problem,(motor/trans mounts, springs/struts, alignment, bad fluid) WHO is right? I guess I need to call the trans place and see what fluid they put in. Stay tuned....;-)

Reply to
Fieronut

And by the way, before I had the trans fluid changed, I had put in some Trans-X because in very cold climates (I travel extensively) the trans would not shift without racing the engine. Once I put in Trans-X it shifted fine...but my understanding is you can't leave it in very long or it will mess up the seals. I don't have the shifting problem any more AND the shuddering problem was there BEFORE and AFTER I put in Trans-X.

Reply to
Fieronut

I drove it today. The shudder happens no matter what gear, so I think it is NOT the clutch.

Reply to
Fieronut

i don't think that the shudder is cause by the torque converter although its possible. if replacing the axles fixed it the first time then you probably had a bad parts. was it rebuilt parts? i would try replacing them again still under warranty,

Reply to
tdodge

I also thot it was the axles but 2 places said it was not, including the dealer. They were replaced somewhere in the midwest a few months ago. Frankly don't remember where so no warrantee to speak of. I'll be home again the end of March and will take it to someone that KNOWS....if that's possible.

Reply to
Fieronut

Reply to
mic canic

"are you in michigan?"

Nope, right now in Springfield MO. But I live in San Antonio.

Reply to
Fieronut