fuel problem or what?

my 1998 dodge stratus has the abs light on now. I was told that everything should work fine other than the abs part of the brakes. the car now is starting hard and acts like it's not getting enough fuel when I punch it. if I work the linkage under the hood, and do it real fast , it will bog right down and die. if I do it gradual it will then accelerate. I'm getting

12.6vdc before starting car and 14vdc once the car starts. I can gear the fuel pump making noise when the key is in the on position but it's hard to hear once it's running,but I assume it's working because the car seems at times it's getting gas. I have a new fuel filter in this car. there are no codes present and taking the battery cable off didn't clear the abs code. any suggestions please? thanks Randy
Reply to
Randy Pape

Start with the basics, have the fuel pressure checked

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

Sounds like something a dealer would say. All they need to do is flush and replace all fluids; replace all hoses and flexible lines; replace the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor; replace all filters (again). Now if after spending over $500 it still has the hesitation problem, the fuel pump is probably weak and needs to be replaced (which would be evident by checking the fuel pressure). :O

Regarding the ABS light it probably has a bad fuse. I think they have redundant supply lines and will turn on the ABS light if one of them is dead. My ABS light on my '98 Stratus was coming on at times. The car had over 100k miles on it and I had a fair amount of pulsation in the brakes. The pulsation went away and the ABS light stopped coming on when I replaced the pads/shoes and resurfaced the rotors/drums.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

You're saying spend $500 before having the fuel pressure checked? If that's the choice, I'd take Glenns's advice. Or were you being facetious?

Bill Putney

thanks for the replies guy's. now be nice :-) a friend checked the pressure while I turned the key on and there was no pressure at all. he believes the fuel pump is bad,even though you can here it cycle. so I'll be changing that and fuel filter at the same time.

Reply to
Randy Pape

Reply to
philthy

My intent was to reinforce what Glen suggested by showing how senseless it is to throw parts at a problem. Unfortunately it is the natural tendency and I have found myself doing the same thing.

Thanks for the response - now I know how to spell facetious.

Bill Putney wrote: [snip]

Reply to
Gyzmologist

:)

Bill Putney

well, now with new plugs,wires,fuel pump, fuel filter, the car still does not run right. it misses and acts like it's not getting fuel when you step on it . could it be the coils shorting out under load? I know my repair manual says I can check the coils with my multi meter but how do you simulate it under load, if this is the problem. note: there are no codes of any kind coming up with this problem. I don't want to be a parts hanger but I had 2 distributors that were bad before,and the last one was changed in Feb 07. any ideas or checks I can do. would the dodge dealer find the problem on his expensive equipment? my mechanic friend did the fuel pump,filter, this weekend and the last distributor in feb 07 and he thinks it's an ignition problem. I thought I read somewhere if the voltage isn't right ,then the fuel won't pump? thanks for any info Randy

Reply to
Randy Pape

up date on car problem :-) i think it's fixed now. i had a blown ABS fuse in the PDC box and also removed the gas cap a couple of times and now the car seems to run fine. i won't test drive it until i figure out this ticking noise that sounds like it's coming from inside the distributor cap,like the rotor hitting. will keep you all posted . thanks for all the input Randy

Reply to
Randy Pape

Reply to
Randy Pape