Fuel pump stopped suddenly.

Plymouth Voyager 89, 2.5, turbo, 4 cyl. My van stopped on the road suddenly. After some checking, I notice the fuel pump (from the tank) does not make the normal noise when put the contact. I checked the fuel pressure (on the valve close to injector), not pressure, not fuel. Before replacing the pump, is there is any relay which connect the pump? What is the simplest way to detect the cause?

Thanks a lot, Cristian

Reply to
Christian

ulas cosar coskun

I checked yesterday with a control lamp. Under the driver seat there is a contact(connector) which connect the fuel pump. There are 4 wires for this connector. One of them is dark green, with a black line, there is not at all 12 volts on this one. (of course with the contact key put to on, no cranck). I don't know If I should check all the 4 wires, I read that just the green/black should have 12 volts on it, but is not. In this case I suspect the ASD (auto shut-down) relay , not yet the pump. May I do a jumper with a wire just to force the 12 volts on the green/black? A jumper to force the pump to have 12 volts. What about the others 3 wires which are in the connector?

Thank you, Cristian

Reply to
Christian

That is the Z1 circuit, it (via the ASD being switched on) is energized for 2 seconds when the ignition is first switched on to prime the fuel system, it then becomes energized when the PCM sees the proper RPM signal from the crankshaft sensor.

Yes, you can do this, but I'd use a fused jumper wire in case there's a short to ground somewhere. Easiest is to jumper from B+ over to the ignition coil + terminal since it is in parallel with the circuit you checked below the drivers seat, or do it both places depending on what results you get with one or the other.

Guessing off the top of my head; one is the fuel pump ground. one is the fuel level sending wire. one is the fuel level sender ground or the low fuel warning light.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Hi,

I have a '90 Grand Voyager and I have the shop manual, so I checked the circuits leading to the fuel pump. A friend once had an '89, and I found that most things were the same between the two. Looking at the fuel pump wiring, the manual has a 4 wire connector that is indicated near the fuel tank. Here are the circuits involved:

  1. Dk Green/black(#14 gauge so it is a heavy wire) =Fuel pump motor power (Circuit Z1)

  1. Gray (# also 14 gauge wire) = Fuel pump Ground (Circuit X2)

  2. Gray (#18 gauge wire-thinner)= Fuel Gauge Ground (at a splice, meets up with X2)

  1. Light Blue (also #18 gauge wire) = Low Fuel warning sensor on fuel gauge system--turns on low fuel light on dash. (Circuit G40)

There is also a single wire connector nearby that has #18 gauge Dark Blue wire that is the fuel gauge sensor wire, operating ghe fuel gauge meter. (Circuit G4)

My vehicle is a 3.3 liter, and the fuel pump went out on a trip about 5 years ago--I think the van had ~70 K miles then. It quit, then after it cooled down, came back on for a little bit, then I had it replaced.

Hope this helps,

Lew

Reply to
Lew Barton

Careful, here. Your '89 has a SMEC engine management system, and a '90 has a SBEC system. The fuel pump is a part of the engine management system. The hardware is mostly the same, but the wiring and relay arrangement is different between the two systems.

I think you *may* have these backwards. Black (sometimes with tracer) wires and Z circuits are generally grounds in Chrysler products.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hi,

I rechecked the schematic--it shows what I said. Both wires are marked X2-->

Reply to
Lew Barton