Fuel Pumps

Hi, I have had several 88 - 93 chryslers and I am about tired of changing fuel pumps in the tank. I now have a 1988 Chyrsler lebaron convt. Pump has gotten rather noisy and would like to know if I can get away with hooking up a pump into the original wire/ plugs and mounting out side some place.

also if so will the original pump alow fuel to flow with out running it? Thank you Jami

Reply to
Jami

All electric fuel pumps fail eventually, frequent and repeat failures indicate that they are being murdered for whatever reason.

There are a number of Asian imports that used external fuel pumps on EFI systems, so yes, it is feasable but such a modification would leave you wide open for liability should something catastrophic occur.

Trying to pull fuel thru a stopped fuel pump with another pump is only going to make the scabbed on pump work harder hastening its demise. You'll also be inviting vapor lock to occur somewhere between the two pumps. Whether it could do it or not is irrelevant since it would be defeating a large part of the reason you're modifying it to begin with.

Yesterday I replaced the original fuel pump, tank, sending unit and straps on a 1990 Pontiac 6000 with 205,000 miles on it. The replacement was not because of a pump failure, it was because the tank, straps and sending unit were rusted to the point that it all needed preventative maintanance, (the new pump was insurance, though it looked fine on my labscope). GM has no exclusive on pump longevity, so if this vehicle owner can get decent life from his, one can only wonder what you're doing to shorten your fuel pumps life.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Consistently running with a fuel level under 3/8 tank. The in-tank pumps use the the gas a a cooling medium.

No gas = Insufficient cooling = Premature pump failure.

Neil Nels>one can

--

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Got my relacement from Carquest. they sell it as pump only or an entire assembly for a bit more. I got the pump only and was able to transfer all the other parts. Paid in the range of $90 as I recall.

Worth mentioning that the fuel filler neck has to come off when dropping the tank out of the vehicle. This is a slip fit bushing into the tank. Replace the bushing and lube the filler tube when re-inserting it. Avoids forcing and tears. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Yes, it is true that the fuel cools the pump (not that the pump produces much heat). But it is the fuel that passes through the pump that cools it. That means as long as there's sufficient fuel in the tank to keep the pump suction submerged, the pump is adequately cooled. That's not much fuel.

If you actually run out of fuel, the engine will stop and that will shut down the pump before any damage occurs.

I've always run the tanks on my fuel injected cars down to about 1/8 tank before refilling and never had a problem with a pump failure.

Reply to
Eric May