fuel system troubles

Reply to
philthy

Just because you get a fault code for a particular part does not mean that part is bad. If you have a fault code for a map sensor/TPS sensor or anything else does not mean those parts are at fault. It simply points you into a direction of the problem. A fuel system rich or lean does not condemn the fuel pump but points you in the direction of the problem. NO THERE IS NOT a fault code that simply says fuel pump is bad. Just like there is no fault code that says 02 sensor, TPS MAP and so on are bad....

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Just because you get a fault code for a particular part does not mean that part is bad. If you have a fault code for a map sensor/TPS sensor or anything else does not mean those parts are at fault. It simply points you into a direction of the problem. A fuel system rich or lean does not condemn the fuel pump but points you in the direction of the problem. NO THERE IS NOT a fault code that simply says fuel pump is bad. Just like there is no fault code that says 02 sensor, TPS MAP and so on are bad....

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
Dipstick

First of all, I'm trying to learn something here, rather than just taking my van to an "expert". I'll admit that I have a lot to learn in life, and I'm not scared of car maintenance. So you can take your arrogant attitude somewhere else. If you can help, that's great because that's why we're all here.

How does the computer know there is a misfire? Does it read the activity of the coils? I know my engine is misfiring because it has poor power and will not idle. I also know that the ignition system is not misfiring because I pulled the wires off the plugs and watched the sparks jump to the spark plugs. So I'm assuming there wouldn't be a misfire code anyway.

What would be helpful is to know what other conditions might cause excessively rich running without setting a code. I looked for vacuum leaks but didn't find any. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Has the compression been checked on the cylinder in question?

Reply to
maxpower

No, it hasn't.

Here's a bit of additional info, which I realized I hadn't covered yet. I only recently acquired this van, and I did some basic maintenance to it such as the belt and the plugs and wires. When I pulled the plugs they all had gasoline on them, not just the #2 and #4 that I mentioned before. The only difference between these two and the rest is that when I pull the wires off of them there is no change in the engine, meaning that they are not producing any power. The rest, although too rich, are contributing to the engine's power, which is shown by a drop in performance when I pull the wires.

This is why I became suspicious about the fuel delivery system. But it seems like more of a universal problem rather than something having to do with 2 and 4, because they all are wet with gasoline.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Reply to
bllsht

You are correct, they normally fail for a lean condition. But, as you say, I wasn't gonna say it can't happen, so I included it as a possibility.

Reply to
bllsht

You can't learn if you don't read.

Speaking of arrogant. There you go assuming things again. Just because you see a spark doesn't mean the ignition system is working properly.

The PCM looks for changes in crankshaft speed to determine if there is a misfire.

Nope, same suggestion.

Reply to
bllsht

Unfortunately, manuals and diagnostic equipment don't fix cars. In the wrong hands they're useless, Dipshit.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
Dipstick

Exactly. That's why I bought mine instead of taking my cars to you. In typical usenet fashion, you can't or won't refute someone else's facts so you resort to name-calling. I'd kill-file you if it weren't so entertaining.

Robert, if you're still there, check your fuel pressure with a good gauge. If it's good, then you've elim> Unfortunately, manuals and diagnostic equipment don't fix cars. In the

Reply to
Dipstick

I told you exactly what would or wouldn't set a code, and what code would be set. Go back and read it again. If you still can't grasp it, tell me what you're having trouble understanding and I'll type it slower for you.

Or just kill file me and quit your whining.

Reply to
bllsht

do a cylinder balance test on those injectors then the rest of them for confirmation

"Robert Reynolds" wrote

Reply to
waynes93jeep