Gas Tank Overflow - 2005 Jeep Liberty

Threaded View
I've got a 2005 Jeep Liberty.

Whenever I fill the gas tank it has a tendency to overflow before the
nozzle shuts off. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes a little. If I try to
judge how many gallons I'm going to need and then let up on the nozzle
for the last bit it's kind of under control but still - almost always -
overflows. If I let up a lot on the nozzle it will flow forever until I
notice it spilling out.

At gas stations that have full vapor controls on their nozzles I don't
have the problem.

What's up with that?

Jeff

Re: Gas Tank Overflow - 2005 Jeep Liberty

Could be air trapped in the tank, pressure builds up in the tank, then
the air pressure forces gas out the filler pipe.
There should be a air escape in the tank or is it blocked.

Re: Gas Tank Overflow - 2005 Jeep Liberty

That's my guess. But, what would block it and how can I get to it
without dropping the tank and/or paying for my mechanic to send his
daughter to Cornell for another semester?

Site Timeline