Gas Tank Overflow - 2005 Jeep Liberty

I've got a 2005 Jeep Liberty.

Whenever I fill the gas tank it has a tendency to overflow before the nozzle shuts off. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes a little. If I try to judge how many gallons I'm going to need and then let up on the nozzle for the last bit it's kind of under control but still - almost always - overflows. If I let up a lot on the nozzle it will flow forever until I notice it spilling out.

At gas stations that have full vapor controls on their nozzles I don't have the problem.

What's up with that?

Jeff

Could be air trapped in the tank, pressure builds up in the tank, then the air pressure forces gas out the filler pipe. There should be a air escape in the tank or is it blocked.

Some O wrote:

That's my guess. But, what would block it and how can I get to it without dropping the tank and/or paying for my mechanic to send his daughter to Cornell for another semester?

Nothing found yet