Gasoline odor on 1997 Voyager

I have a 1997 Voyager Rallye that emits a strong gas odor on the exterior, especially immediately after the car is shut off. I've crawled underneath and see no sign of leaking from the tank or fuel lines. A quick check under the hood reveals no glaring signs either.

I must admit that since I am a newbie at auto repair I don't know exactly what to look for, but I'm no dummy, either. I figured if it's something I can take of myself, I'll forego taking it to the repair shop and save some money.

Does anyone else have an idea what else to look for leaks in the tank or fuel lines? I'll get a copy of chilton's from the library to help me find where everything is.

Thnak You

Reply to
the unknown

Not sure if this will help or not but I have a 1996 Grand Voyager which had the same problem.

I could not find out where it was coming from until about a month after the smell started I noticed gas drips coming from the filler neck area as I was filling up.

After more careful inspection I found a hole in the filler neck where it had been chafing against the body frame. I had to actually take an electrical wire rap plastic tie and pull it off of the frame. I coated the filler pipe with a compound called SealAll that I bought at Canadian Tire. This stuff is amazing for plugging holes and gas does not affect it in any way. You can even apply it even if gas is dripping it will eventually stop the drip.

Hope this help some with your problem and one place to maybe take a look at....If you need anymore info drop me a line ...

Reply to
Tom B

Here is a solution to finding the gas leak in your nice, visually-appealing minivan.

Drive around with some large metal appliance wedged under your van - an old singer sewing machine would do nicely. When you notice smoke and/or fire, pull over (preferably in a ditch) and take note where the flames are coming from. Repair at your conveinence.

Reply to
MoPar Man