Gasoline prices ready to hit new high in S.F.

It's more insidious than that. All of Europe's governments decided years ago to tax fuel into oblivion. It wasn't just to make money (although they do spend it), it's to force people to conserve. The taxation levels are so ridiculous it has to be that.

I don't really know why they wanted to do that. I imagine it's because they have few oil resources, and they were smart enough to see the national security cost of being dependent on imported fuel. That's just me making it up. I'd love to know the politics that went into that. If anybody knows about that, please post it up.

In the US, we're very egalitarian-minded. A scheme to increase gasoline prices would cause people to conserve, but not in an egalitarian way. The poor would conserve most, because they couldn't afford it. Rich folks would go right on driving 12 mpg vehicles they drive now. Stuff like that doesn't seem right in the US, so we may never do it.

Really, rationing seems pretty good by comparison. If we all conserve by choice, that's even better. When Americans seriously conserve, the price of oil will plummet.

Reply to
Joe

Regardless of whatever action we make take now, I'm convinced the age of cheap oil (and, consequently, life as we know it) is quickly coming to a close. Consumers (most of whom would rather sacrifice their first born than give up their truck or SUV) can look forward to increasingly higher pump prices and chronic supply shortages as battles are won and lost over the world's remaining oil supplies.

And, no, corn-based ethanol and the Alberta tar sands won't save our sorry asses either.

For a clearer picture of this, see:

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

I'm patiently waiting!

Reply to
Some O

What bull. I'm in Canada and we have a great basic universal health care system. The USA hasn't got one, well in one state. I just read that Maine has universal health care, but the cost is so high many opt out. Interesting isn't it, that Maine is physically very close to Canada.

A friend of ours who teaches in S Carolina retires in a few years and is terrified that her very good work health care coverage will stop the day she retires. The cost of her buying private coverage is very high, even though it has many limitations.

Reply to
Some O

The solution to this is a Federal basic health care system as all other modern countries have.

Reply to
who

I have excellent health care in Michigan. My health insurance will continue into my retirement.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

No, thank you.

Reply to