General question about the A604/41TE

I have a simple question: Are 2nd gear and/or reverse "hard coded" into the valve body of the transaxle meaning that "Limp Home" mode is simply the TCM saying "I give up!" and cutting all power to the solenoid pack? The reason I ask is that a few months ago I got a call to work on a '96 Caravan 3.3 and they told me over the phone that the speedometer didn't work and it was locked in 2nd so I immediatly thought a simple output speed sensor was the problem. After starting the van and putting it in gear I noticed that all of the squares on the digital shift indicator were lit up which had me thinking PRNDL switch. After about an hour of checking and cleaning connectors it still didn't work so I decided to start checking fuses and found that the TCM fuse in the underhood box was corroded due to battery acid so I swapped in a spare and it fixed the problem. I even ran it up and down through the gears about a dozen times with the front wheels off the ground to be sure. Then about an hour ago I read this post elsewhere: "as a test... I removed the EATX relay for a test run... and it was Instantly in

2nd gear, from 0mph"

I hope that someone can give me a definitave answer because I already know how to properly treat this trans to keep it healthy and happy but I am trying to learn more about the theory of operation etc.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

Essentially 'yes' for 2nd gear. I just looked at the logic table for the solenoid pack in the FSM on an LH car (42LE tranny - I assume its the same control-wise), and all solenoids are de-energized for 2nd gear. For reverse, one solenoid is energized - but that particular solenoid just locks the torque converter cluth, so in limp mode, reverse works, but the TC is not locked (degraded mode)

Bill Putney

Thank you bill, I had seen the solenoid pack truth chart before but didn't fully understand it. Thank you for answering my question.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

You're welcome!

Bill Putney