Glue for front bumper

Just noticed that my 2000 Caravan's front bumper have cracked. Possibly from hitting a curb. I've tried applying "Grazy Glue" but it didn't hold. Does anyone know what I can use?

Thanks

Reply to
CKC

Try Elmers "Ultimate Glue" (polyurethane). It's waterproof. Warning: It expands and will slowly "squirt out" as it cures so use caution it doesn't get where you don't want it. Use it sparingly and you may need to check it occasionally and scrape off the excess.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Jimhigh66, Thanks for the quick reply. Last resort I may give this Ultimate Glue a try.

I'm thinking along the line of modelling kit glue where the glue will melt the material and create a bond. Guess the bumper is made of different polymer compound.

Reply to
CKC

Sounds like it might be very similar to "Gorilla Glue" that you see in all the hardware stores - has the same problem of greatly expanding when it cures, but it is *tough*.

Bill Putney

Nope. That works on thermoplastic like ABS. Your bumper is not ABS, and there is no solvent-type ("melt it together") glue for it.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Two brands of the same kind of glue, yes.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

DuPont and Devoe makes a two part glue epically for plastics and composites it is industrial only you can get it fron Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

This might be the same stuff that I keep on hand and that is in every auto parts store.

On the "glues and goops" aisle, there is a two-part epoxy in the (IIRC) Versachem brand - the packaging has a pinkish-purplish color to it, and the name on it is "Plastic Welding System". I can tell you that it is not just regular epoxy repackaged. It is very different - has a very strong and distinct odor as it cures (rather quickly I might add), and it really does work on plastic. It is *extremely* tough. You have to try it to believe how good it is bonding- and toughness-wise. I keep it on the shelf all the time - it is amazing. Every bit as good as the gorilla glue without the expansion problem - so it is much easier to make a cleaner-looking finished job.

Bill Putney

Yes, there are several brands and it really stinks. My wife had some one back into her cracking her front bumper. I drilled a hole at the end of the crack about 6 inches long. Used denature alchol and 400 grit sand paper. Glued it and put a wide patch on the back, sanded, primed and painted. You can't tell it was there that was 4 years ago. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Thank you all for your input. I did some googling and finds the following links quite helpful. Will attempt to do repairs when weather warms up a bit. Thanks again.

CKC