Grand Voyager headlights flashing

HI,

I woke up in the night last night and saw a strange light coming from outside. On looking out of the window I saw the lights on my 2002 Grand voyager were on, as I looked they turned themselves off and on several times. This continued throughout the night!!

It was very cold last night and my wife has just told me that she had problems with the lights last week when we also had cold weather.

Has anyone else experienced this, does anyone have any ideas what the cause might be or how to fix it?

please help.

Huw

Reply to
HUWMAN

Do you have an alarm system that could possibly be malfunctioning?

-Kirk

Reply to
kmatheson

Hi Kirk,

I do have an alarm but the flashing is not regular as it is when the alarm activates.

Reply to
huw.fenny

Strange. I cannot imagine what would cause something like this. Even for those with daytime running lights. When the relay malfunctions, the lights will usually not turn off, rather than turn on and then off by themselves.

When the vans were re-designed for 1996, there were reports of the wipers turning on by themselves, but I don't recall the same problem with headlights. This was fixed with an updated switch.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
jdoe

Sorry Larry, No remote starter and factory alarm.

Reply to
huwman

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I have a 96 caravan se, about 3 months ago while I was sitting outside having a smoke after dinner, the headlights turned on by themselves and then after the time out they extinguished. My van has 188000 miles on it and has not been too much trouble to own or maintain. I have had switch related problems with the power windows and the radio, but a careful disassembly and cleaning made everything work as new. So far I had been lucky. I figured that I would remove the light switch module and clean up the contacts the following morning. To make a long story short, might I suggest getting a new switch module from your friendly local Dodge dealer, that's what I had to do. If you have tons of patience, and strange shaped fingers and extra luck you could probably clean it, but it's a lot less trouble to replace the assembly. Mine was $75.00 American @ the dealer and about a half an hour to disassemble the dash and install. Apparently the switch will start to corrode if the wind blows rain on the dash in just the right way. I could see when I removed the connector the telltale green copper traces that I assume must have had enough continuity to activate the lights in the automatic off mode. Anyway, this worked for me and it is as good as new. Frustration level = 5, cost = $75.00, scaring the heck out of my mother-in-law when they came on by themselves = Priceless.........My 2 cents........Mr. B

Reply to
Mr. Bignose

Reply to
philthy